Machete sheath, how do you carry it

Atm I just carry my machete in a temporary sheath made of cardboard and duct tape. I used to carry it in a cheap canvas sheath that belonged to a cheap Wal-Mart machete but it started to wear tear.

Most people roll with them on the side of the opposite that they are using.

I carry mine like this (opposite side) of my strong side when surveying. As far as sheaths go, I use leather sheaths that I pick up from survey supply stores.

I normally have an E&E pouch and mid sized (4.5" to 6") fixed blade on my belt when out in the hills or woods so my Machete sheath is lashed to my pack. That goes for my larger (16.5" over all, 10"+ blades) Khukri's also. If the machete or Khukri sheath is lashed to the pack in the right way, I can draw the blade with out taking the pack off.

i am glad that i am not the only one who does this
You are not alone!
I carried this Malaysian Parang through the jungle in a cardboard tape sheath.
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

14" tram sandwiched between two pieces of wood, edge lined with gutted paracord. I strap it to the pack most often.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I've taken to carrying a short machete around. I don't like it on my hip and typically strap it to the side of my pack. Not an instant access carry mode, but I usually reach for my belt knife for most things and use the machete for specialized purposes like wood processing. I don't hack my way through vegetation so my carry mode reflects this lack of need.

I normally have an E&E pouch and mid sized (4.5" to 6") fixed blade on my belt when out in the hills or woods so my Machete sheath is lashed to my pack.

I do the same.

JUNGLAS strapped to a backpack and an ESEE-3 on my belt with a basic fire kit in my pocket.

I carry mine like a sword on my back like down my spine. I use a piece of nylon webbing with clips on the end and a pad where it sits below my neck. I love it it never gets in m way, it's easy to grab, goes under a backpack easily and isn't annoying like when I have it on my belt. You jus put the nylon on like backpack straps, I don't have any pics but I'll see if I can have some take a few for you to see

You wouldn't typically carry a sword on your back, actually. You get very used to hip carry when it's properly done. :)

You wouldn't typically carry a sword on your back, actually. You get very used to hip carry when it's properly done. :)

I tried for a while to hip carry and I just never really got comfortable with it, it kept hitting my leg and when I'd walk threw thicker bush it would snag on everything, even if the machete was in my hand the sheath would get caught. I guess if I just forced myself to do it I'd get used to it like anything you do for a while but the way I do it now is comfortable and I like it a lot so until it stops working well I'll stick with it.

Haven't you ever seen the movie blade LOL he carries his sword on his back haha. I'll be ready if vampires ever attack hahaha

Just be careful not to give yourself an accidental haircut! :D

[video=youtube;1X2TGiNShBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1X2TGiNShBQ[/video]

Found some good molle attachment sheaths.

P1060111_zpsbca94a7a.jpg

Oh wow--that's flippin' awesome! Who makes those?

Edit: Looks like Voodoo Tactical. Let's hope they come out with a 14" model too!

Last edited:
Back