Machetes & Bush Knives

Where did you get your Gavilan ?

Ebay. I just loved that Kuna Indian sheath. The machete was like new. It's a 16" model. I once had a 12" Gavilan and liked it. Good Columbian machetes.
Galivan016.jpg

Galivan003.jpg

I guess you really love EBay ( and its seems to have treated you well):D. I found a 20 inch Collins machete, not on Ebay though (I dont have a paypal or online account). Looking forward to some fun before the snow fall. Thanks for those pics, very nice.:thumbup:

I've got a couple of the newer Nicholson/Collins Columbian 22" machetes that seem like they'll be decent enough once I finish putting a LOT of elbow grease into them. The edges were given a pass on a wheel just so they'd LOOK like they had an edge. :D I'm almost done modding the first one--will post pics once it's done.

So far I've filed the edge, convexed it, put a point on it, and took the hard corners and stamping marks off of the spine. Now I'm just doing an all-over hand-rubbed polish on it and it'll be chomping at the bit to hack some stuff down! :cool:

I guess you really love EBay ( and its seems to have treated you well):D. I found a 20 inch Collins machete, not on Ebay though (I dont have a paypal or online account). Looking forward to some fun before the snow fall. Thanks for those pics, very nice.:thumbup:

Well, I have gotten some good deals there and some not so good. The trick is to stand by that maximum bid and lose a few. I don't get caught up in the bidding. I figure out what I'm willing to pay and stand on that maximum. More stuff will come along. :D

HornDog, you have some beuties and thanks for posting pics I know we (I) like to see them. Also, your providing an education to the people like myself who dont know the difference between a standard everyday & popular brand and the unique models that are treasured finds. Thanks!

Where did you find those 42B? You guys have skill at finding these tools!

Just search for "Nicholson machete" and those are the ones. They come with a sticker that says Nicholson and Cooper Tools on it...but the blade stamp has the good ol' crown and hammer and reads:

Collins
Nicholson
Columbia

I think a good leather sheath for machete is a great idea. Anyone know where they can be bought? Links would be good. And to be clear I am talking about really good looking leather machetes like those made by rain walker.

Last edited:
Golok of Tondano, North Sulawesi
This golok is not field proven yet. Just bought it recently.
But this kind of golok is ordinary golok of Tondanoan people.
This golok is not "high end" but not the cheap one, most of Tondanoan people bring the lesser one (cheap wooden sheath and ordinary wood for the handle and also the HT is not good).
It cost me "only" US$20.00
In thick water buffalo leather sheath (sno seal wax as comparison)
DSC00140.jpg

Handle, Makasar Ebony
DSC00141.jpg

Blade, spring steel
DSC00143.jpg

Small and light golok,
West Java style, also famous in Southern tip of Sumatra Island
Made from old spear which i found in the forest.
This golok made by local blacksmith of Lampung (Sumatra), but he is migrant from West Java. It cost me US$10.00
Very sharp, i really like it.
Handle cattle horn.
Wooden sheath from high quality dipterocarp
th_Golokdaritombakilang.jpg

Golokdaritombakilang2.jpg

Last edited:
Got it on my trip to the western part of Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park, Sumatra.
Light "big knife" , very handy, do good in the forest.
Blade about 8", material spring steel.
Easily sharpened but rusty very quick.
Wooden sheath. It cost me US$ 10.00 for both knives.
Big knife sheath is from dipterocarp but the small knife is from jack fruit.
th_CopyofIMG_1593.jpg

th_CopyofIMG_1592.jpg

see the detail of the rattan
CopyofIMG_1599.jpg

CopyofIMG_1600.jpg

CopyofIMG_1601.jpg

Last edited:
Back