Mad Dog Knives VIM Closing shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 15 years ago the Bladeforums suffered it's worse all out bar room brawl. There were dozens of threads over a period of weeks and a lot of frustration and anger, and it was all about Mad Dog Knives. It started over Kevin McClung's dissatisfaction with a knife review and ended with people interviewing his workers and submitting his knives to x-rays and disassembly. IIRC, it ended with Kevin being shown to be in error, as well as, his noisy departure from these forums.

I was also surprised to see that they were still around.

n2s

One of the most infamous articles in the short life of bladeforums magazine. That was a hell of a fight.

Anybody got links to those threads? I was never able to comprehend how people would pay that much for "Mad Dog"'s knives. But then, some folks will pay quite a lot in their special forces fetishistic quest to touch greatness, amirite?

Anybody got links to those threads? I was never able to comprehend how people would pay that much for "Mad Dog"'s knives. But then, some folks will pay quite a lot in their special forces fetishistic quest to touch greatness, amirite?

Get an Emerson CQC-7 black combo edge without wave. Same knife carried by the SEAL that killed Osama Bin Ladin. The actual knife sold for $30kish. Dirt cheap compared to the Mad Dog stuff.

take a look at this http://www.tacticalforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000518.html.. McClung was really getting raked over the coals by a poster named John Wain and Dave Hanson. Then mysteriously a groopie shows up to come to McClungs defense. ( I think it was a McClung also.) Quite a history that has not been finished yet. The Mad Dog knives selling on ebay from time to time are often McClung's own at ridiculous inflated prices. FOR 01 ??

Last edited:
Wow - that's some drama, new and old!! I remember when the original furore broke out...

Anyone that can build a following around a knife brand is a genius in my book. I wish he'd gone more into production rather than staying high end customs. Always wanted a Shrike... guesss it will never be :)

Get an Emerson CQC-7 black combo edge without wave. Same knife carried by the SEAL that killed Osama Bin Ladin. The actual knife sold for $30kish. Dirt cheap compared to the Mad Dog stuff.

To be fair, that knife was sold at an auction that benefitted a veterans' charity, certainly a worthy cause.

Yeah, all this talk about the ATAK got me re interested in getting an MPK-S again. Dont know much about its reputation other than the write ups from Mission but it looks like a nice knife

Yeah, all this talk about the ATAK got me re interested in getting an MPK-S again. Dont know much about its reputation other than the write ups from Mission but it looks like a nice knife

Ive been looking at the MPK12-TI lately, as I have the MPS-TI and a few other MISSION knives. For my purpose, they Work great; kayaking, hunting, camping etc etc.

Too funny!

Yeah, Ebbtide... I thought the same thing when I saw the title of this thread. Gosh, that was 15-ish years ago !!

I remember reading one of those flame threads way back when. I got into BFC Chat one night, and that was the big subject of the evening. I hadn't read anything about it yet, so Tim Herman tosses me a link to the thread. I just remember rolling my chair back away from the monitor after getting a page and a half deep and shaking my head with a subdued "Wow!"

I hadn't realized they were still in the game, really.

I think most people would be quite surprised if they did an actual Rockwell C scale test on a Mad Dog knife. I know for a fact that the rockwell tester he had in his shop spent most of its life under plastic and duct tape.. As mentioned in another thread, people that over paid for these are not likely to put them through any tests. "Notched tang or not"
Differential heat treat ? NO WAY

I think most people would be quite surprised if they did an actual Rockwell C scale test on a Mad Dog knife. I know for a fact that the rockwell tester he had in his shop spent most of its life under plastic and duct tape.. As mentioned in another thread, people that over paid for these are not likely to put them through any tests. "Notched tang or not"
Differential heat treat ? NO WAY

Have we met you before under another name?

Looking back at some of the old thread posts, I'd like to know whatever happened to a poster handle Jaxurman, and allen blade. They had similar experiences with McClung

Jaxurman aka Jack Alvarez was banned years ago for lying to us and cheating Bladeforums rather than pay for a dealer membership. He went to jail for a while (for other reasons), but he was out again the last I heard; you might be able to find him if you look.

Allan Blade aka Scott Fowler was banned even longer ago for cheating his customers. He is in hiding from all the people he owes knives and money and hasn't been heard from for a few years; I have no idea where he is now or what name he is using these days.

Jaxurman aka Jack Alvarez was banned years ago for lying to us and cheating Bladeforums rather than pay for a dealer membership. He went to jail for a while (for other reasons), but he was out again the last I heard; you might be able to find him if you look.

Allan Blade aka Scott Fowler was banned even longer ago for cheating his customers. He is in hiding from all the people he owes knives and money and hasn't been heard from for a few years; I have no idea where he is now or what name he is using these days.

WOW. sounds like a sorry group. I noticed that we shared similar dislikes of McClung's business practices and LYING to anyone that would listen. Too bad so many have fallen from grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back