Mad Scientist

sakscientist.jpg

I finally scored a SAK scientist off of eBay! The condition of the knife was pretty odd. The blade was still shaving sharp and had only one small scratch. The magnifying glass and combo tool were also like new. The Phillips screwdriver was a bit nicked up but I've found that they tend to show wear after just a few uses. All of the small accessories were present and in good shape. But the red scales were a real mess and were barely hanging on. There were also many small nicks and gouges in the metal at the ends of the knife and near the corkscrew. It looks like the knife was used more for hammering than anything else. Pretty strange.

I had a black compact that I decided to cannibalize for its scales and accessories (didn't want a used toothpick or half empty pen). After a bit of cleaning and filing and a few hours in a vise I now at long last have my coveted EDC -- the Mad Scientist. :thumbup:

Nice find! The hammered look near the corkscrew probably came from using the handle for leverage opening wine bottles, which is honest wear in an older knife (or in a newer knife if you use this method often). Enjoy it!

I had a Scientist when I was a kid - man I loved that knife!! Unfortunately it (and several hundred dollars worth of other knives) burned up in a house fire a couple of years back. That sure is a great carry knife - as previously mentioned in this thread, enjoy it!

I was just thrilled to finally find one. I know many collectors want the Scientist model for its rarity but I just want one to carry and use. It has the perfect set of tools for me in the smallest possible package.

Back