Madd Maxx configuration... help me to decide !

Hello,

There is 2 models available at my favorite sonline shop:
- Black DLC/assisted
- Matte/manual
So...
_ The DLC coating is it more "rustproof" or "scratchproof" ? or simply tacticool ?
_ The matte finish is it more "satin" or "beadblasting" ? (I hate beadblast finish)
_ Is it possible to "open wave" the assisted version ? or is it the way to go for a failure ?
_ The manual version is it as fast as a Cold Steel ti lite 6" ?

I know, this is a confuse mail with a lot of questions... but I dont't want to miss my christmas present :D

Thanks if you can answer my dumb questions, or tell me your experience with your Maxx.

Best regards.

P.S. pardon my English !

Hey tsuba. Welcome to BF, and your english is just fine!

I had the manual DLC (black) model and it was very nice. Only sold it to pay my divorce lawyer. The DLC does not offer any real rust protection, but does offer scratch resistance, although items you cut may rub off on the coating because it is so hard, 78-82 RC, and make it look like it is scratched. The DLC has a flat black appearance to it and I really did like the way it made the handle appear. The MM can be waved open, but it would have to have the clip put on the back of the knife for it to do so. This would require drilling holes, threading them, and then attaching the clip.

The pics of the satin finished does not appear to be a bb finish, but my old eye's have deceived me before! But from the pictures I've seen I like the look of it. I am also currently looking at another one that is available in both finishes, and both have the assisted opening. I always thought that the assisted opening would be very hard on the parts, but Darrell does harden all the parts that would be affected so that should take care of any problems. I will say that the framelock is as good as it gets on this knife!!

Yep, the matte finish isn't a bead blast to my eye either, at least not on the Gun Hammer. I prefer it to the DLC just because it cuts more easily. There's just no comparison to be made between a Darrel Ralph design and Cold Steel. Not even in the same universe. I don't have the Mad Maxx, but I'm pretty confident that you'll be pleased with it.

Thanks for both of you,

My girlfriend just ordered the Satin Manual version :thumbup:
Now I'have to wait for the December 25th 00:00AM !

Thanks for both of you,

My girlfriend just ordered the Satin Manual version :thumbup:
Now I'have to wait for the December 25th 00:00AM !
Awesome, I'm sure you'll love it!

I don't have a HTM MM 5.5, but I do have a custom version, and it's an awesome knife. Extremely well designed like all of Darrel's knives and, unlike a lot of folders with blades that size, it's actually practical to carry if you so choose due to the high blade:handle ratio and the low-ride clip. As Darrel said to me when I was trying to decide between the MM 5.5 and the MM 4 at the CA Custom Knife Show back in October, the 5.5 is the most knife you can (practically) fit in your pocket.

Back