1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made a sheath for my B-day gift

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by rob5leather, Jul 27, 2018.

1. rob5leather

rob5leather

Jul 26, 2018
    For my birthday, wife got me a total mystery knife. She won't say where from, and though she finally said 'Russia' I don't really know still. There are no markings on it and it's a bit messed up on the other side (the damascus pattern). Any info on it is appreciated, however, let's talk sheaths.
    It came in this:
    [​IMG]

Wonky, generic and not great quality. So she smiles and says to me: 'Now you can make a better one for it!'. Hmm, so my real gift is that I get to make a sheath for myself.
    So I decided to experiment and came up with this:
    [​IMG]

When I say experiment I mean:
    1. Using tri-weave. I can do nice basketweave, but tri-weave is different I now know. Kinda messed it up so good thing the sheath was for myself (wouldn't have delivered that to a customer).
    2. Making the strap go forwards. Just to get a nice wrap around the bolster. Works fine and the edge does not, contrary to popular belief, cut the strap.
    3. Making the entire sheath out of a single piece of leather, meaning the strap is 'integrated'. I noticed there are pros and cons to this. It makes for some interesting cutting, but looks good and is very practical as the belt loop is of the fold-down variety. Though if the strap gets ruined some time down the line, there's some work to make a good looking fix.

Notice the slimmer, cooler look. And color coordinated too...
    [​IMG]

Old vs. New. New wins in my eyes.
    [​IMG]

Note to self: Don't take the photos right after waxing, some got stuck in the stitch holes and tooling and lights up like my kids' eyes when the ice cream truck comes.
    [​IMG]

All handmade, handsewn, using Tärnsjö veg tan and Lin cablé.
    Thanks for looking and I hope my comments may help and/or inspire someone out there.

2. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Nice job, my friend.

Paul

3. rob5leather

rob5leather

Jul 26, 2018
    Thank you!

4. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    That’s really nice ! I like it :)

Nice job :thumbsup: And

Happy Birthday !!!! !!!!

5. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Looks nice! Well done. And for that wax that gets stuck in the tooling, get that toothbrush out of the cabinet and scrub the heck out of it and tell the wife you have no idea where her toothbrush went to. ;)
    I have several toothbrushes on my bench and each one has its own special use, it is amazing how versatile those little things are!

just-a-hunter likes this.
  6. rob5leather

rob5leather

Jul 26, 2018
    Thanks, birthday was some weeks ago though, but thanks anyway.

7. rob5leather

rob5leather

Jul 26, 2018
    Thanks, and that's a good tip. I usually take the heat gun to it and rub with a rag, but the brush will definitely have better reach.

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Nice work. Yep I keep three or four tooth brushes around too.

9. rob5leather

rob5leather

Jul 26, 2018
    Thanks! Toothbrushes it is then, by general consensus.

10. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very Nice !

11. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 5, 2015
    Nice upgrade!

Todd

12. rob5leather

rob5leather

Jul 26, 2018
    Thank you!