1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by wellington, Dec 15, 2009.

1. wellington

wellington

Dec 7, 2007
    Over the next few weeks I thought, if there was some interest, I would post pictures of one or two vintage Sheffield knives, mostly made in the era before mechanization and mass production.

I would like to show this pristine sportsman's knife made by W Morton & Sons, Sheffield , C 1880 ?, the knife measures 4 1/4" closed, the pocket blade measures 3" (the pile side of which is faintly inscribed with a salesmans pattern number "D 7455 245").

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If anyone has a knife they would like to show on this thread, you are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Mick :)

2. VCM3

VCM3 Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 26, 2005
    Very nice :thumbup: & this is gonna be cool,Thanks Mick!
    -Vince

3. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    Yes Please!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Mick,

What material are the scales on this knife?

Ken

4. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    That knife looks like it could have come off the bench yesterday. What a beauty!

Could you provide details on scale material, steel and anything else that might be of interest?

5. VCM3

VCM3 Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 26, 2005
    So Mick,are the scales black composition,or whatever they had (synthetic),at that time ? Or is that checkered wood ?
    TIA,
    -Vince

6. 4ever3

4ever3

Mar 28, 2007
    Very nice Mick :cool:

I've got the popcorn popping! This is going to be a good show :thumbup:

7. wellington

wellington

Dec 7, 2007
    Thanks for all the responses guy's.

The scales are finely chequered ebony, I think the liners are nickel silver, as are the bearded bolsters, surface mounted escutcheon plate, and shackel.

Mick

8. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Does this one fit in?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. kodiak

kodiak

Dec 24, 2002
    What a treat those pictures are, thank you for posting it here. I would love to touch it and caress it and..... ahhhh, sorry.:D That really is a beauty.

Waynorth: very nice indeed.

10. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Mick, I keep going back to look at your wonderful knife! It is such a treasure; a step back in time!!
    And this is a great idea for a thread!!

11. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    As Oliver Twist said;
    "Please Sir, I would like some more."
    Greg

12. malextwo

malextwo

Jul 25, 2005
    Beautiful Mick - love the "bearded" bolsters

Waynorth - you're feedin' my congress fever!

Mike

13. cnas122

cnas122 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I couldn't agree more. Great thread.

14. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    wellington please show more. those square kicks are always a sign of old.crocus is really hard to photo. maybe some formite will tip us how to photo crocus polish. [black velvet] ??? thanks for a peek at one of the greatest all time oldies.

15. wellington

wellington

Dec 7, 2007
    Thanks for the favourable comments on the W Morton & Sons knife, Vince, Ken, Elliott, 4ever3, waynorth, Kodiak, Greg, Mike, campbell and Dennis, the old knife is in stunning condition, it's clearly been very well looked after from new, a super thing. The knife is indeed crocus polished throughout (yes, really hard to photograph), a sign of top quality.

waynorth, thanks for adding the pictures of your great looking Joseph Rodgers congress, one of my favourite patterns, I love the ones with two sheepfoot blades, and it's from my favourite maker :D.

I'll post another knife a little later in the week, in the meantime should anyone want to add an example, please do so.

Mick

16. sebago

sebago

Jul 21, 2006
    waynorth, Hi Charlie,

As this thread is showing Sheffield knives: 1830-1930, I fear that Congress of yours might be a little "late" for the thread? I would date that one after WWII.

Great idea for a thread, Mick. Superb Morton!

Jim Taylor.

17. indian4

indian4

Oct 8, 2009
    Very nice Sheffields. I only have one. It's a family piece, don't have the slightest idea how old it is.

[​IMG]

18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks Jim, that is what I feared. However, I'm sure this one makes the grade!
    Appears in S-K's early catalog. The art of scratting bone was thought dead before 1900, but this knife is likely from after 1900.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 4ever3

4ever3

Mar 28, 2007
    That's a great one Charlie, love the stove pipe kick ! Isn't that one called a Coffee/ Pruner ?

20. sebago

sebago

Jul 21, 2006
    Hi Charlie,

That's a superb old pruner and it certainly fits the thread. You're quite right about the scratted bone on that particular knife. I, too, thought that such "scratting" had been long forgotten. The "England" stamp is pretty certain to date the knife after 1891 as you know. Nevertheless, IT IS SCRATTED BONE!! Just another one of life's mysteries!

I'm very pleased that you weren't offended at my earlier comments regarding the Congress knife.

Jim Taylor.