Made it for 4 more years

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
My other job I've worked for almost 31 years had our contract meeting today. I work for Giant Food of Maryland and we are in the UFCW union. It was held at the Baltimore convention center. It was a pretty good package considering our economic situation. When I made my 30 years last year I went part time there and fulltime knifemaking. I stay there and work 2 nites a week for the health benefits. I can retire but with the cost of health insurance, it's worth the 2 nites a week for the bennies.
Scott

Man I hear ya!
My wife and I pay over a grand a month for health insurance!! :eek:
be safe... Ted

Sounds like a great plan to me Scott, some important bennies, and lots of time to pursue your passion. We should all be so lucky.

right on scott.... that's great....:thumbup:

you've worked at your job as long as i've been born....:eek:

Yay for union groceries! I only shop union or our little local independant.

Used to be almost all groceries round here were organized and paid a living wage. Now just Krogers.

I remember when I started at the big G in 1977, every grocery chain in Maryland was union except for Mars supermarkets. We had Giant, A&P, Safeway, Pantry Pride, Grand Union and some more I can't remember. We are now run by Stop and Shop. You New Yorkers and New Jersey forumites I'm sure know the store. Their management don't know sh*t about running a grocery business.
Scott

Sounds like a solid plan. That also means we continue to get more knives at good prices too.

Sounds like a solid plan. That also means we continue to get more knives at good prices too.

Thanks. I do my best to keep my prices down. One factor that will cause a price increase is material cost rising. O1 steel just went up but not enough to justify a price increase.
Scott

Back