Made my First Knife

Its simple, but its a knife. Its my first one so the difficulty level is low! :)
3.5" blade. Made of ATS-34. Not yet heat treated.
So unleash the hellhounds of constructive criticism! :D

Sentinel.jpg

It looks great, NosRedna! I am trying to get the gumption to make a blade, and seeing first-time quality like this is inspiring.

It looks great man! I suggest you try further refining and perfecting that design, cause you may just have something there!

Hey, nice knife! I really like that and the grind and finish look excellent. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Great job on the first knife. It looks like you got the bug. Hope to see more from you down the road. Thanks for showing us your work. :thumbup:

FOG2

Gold Member
WAY TO GO !!, I LIKE IT A LOT !

and i like wharnies, so i give you points for good taste

JTR357

Gold Member
Looks great!:):thumbup:...Do you plan on adding any scales on the handles?

Looks awful good to me!!!
The grind looks about as good as it can get, just a little fix up at the tip maybe. I like the grip dimples you put in the blade where the thumb and index finger would be holding the knife! It might just be reflections but it looks like there's still some scratches from rougher grit sand paper in the blade. If they are scratches, they can easily be taken out with some sanding. You should send the blade to Paul Bos for heat treating, he's the best!
Over all you have a fine first knife there Nos!!!!
Don't do like I did and sell your first knife, keep it! In a few years you'll pull it out and wonder how you ever made such a nice knife back then! :)

Thanks guys. It is my first one and I just did a single bevel edge. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to do an edge. I just grabbed and file and practiced with it till I said. "Thats it!"
Im not going to put a handle on this one. I will get it heat treated, somewhere and buff it. I just stopped with 220 grit. Guess I need to go further. The point does need work and the final sharpening needs to be done to. The blade just became to a satifing point and I wanted to see what you guys thought.
Thanks all your help and pointers.
And is Paul Bos on the forum? Any contact info on him would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Bufford

Gold Member
This is knifemaking. For your first knife, the grind is very well done. Keep up the good work.

Good Job on your first blade, grind looks good, looks like a handy knife.
Keep it up. dan