1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Made paracord bola with three 1.5" steel bearings

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by paracordist, Dec 26, 2011.

1. paracordist

paracordist

Jun 9, 2010
    I've messed around with bolas since I was a kid making them with rocks tied to the end of cotton twine. I've wanted to make one with paracord and monkeys fists but could not find the time, untIl recently when someone ordered one. The request was for three 1.5" steel ball bearings to be included. *I tried two strand twists off the fists but just didn't work out like I hoped. I wanted to keep the cords from being stiff so rather than going tie a four strand braid, I added a single gutted strand and made a three strand braid. I brought them*together tying a double matthew walker with the 6 intact strands and the three gutted strands up the middle.*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rivertamer

rivertamer

Sep 16, 2011
    That it's great....I have a single monkey fist keychain that I had made but those 3 look great.... Probably do some real damage if you wanted to.... Very nice

3. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    very cool. Man i wish i could tie like you

4. VA27

VA27

Dec 24, 2005
    Tactical Bolo! I wonder if the chief would let me carry one? I'm getting a little slow in my old age. Nah, the ACLU or PETA or somebody would demand the use of tennis balls, or some such nonsense...although, Superballs might have enough mass to make it work!

5. VTguy17

VTguy17

Aug 4, 2011
    Wow, that's impressive. I have a bola I made when I was a kid out of leather shoe laces and 3 round wood balls (like the kind on the end of your railing on the stairs. This however looks great, nice job!!

6. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    That is cool. It would be neat to see how it would really work on tangling someone or somethings legs and have it on video lol.

Great Job,

Bryan

7. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
    That's great! Very nice.

8. grunt soldier

grunt soldier

Dec 4, 2009
    that is very cool. good stuff sir. I too would be curious to see it work

9. barrabas74

barrabas74 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2005
    That looks pretty cool, I too would like to see it in action.

10. unit

unit

Nov 22, 2009
    That looks very nice. I know very little about how it would be used though. However it works...I'd hate to be on the receiving end!

11. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    That is nice, but I bet that is heavy as hell too. I have 2 steel bearrings about the same size, and they are about 2-3 lbs total I would guess off hand. I would hate for you to get those leads tangled while you are getting ready to throw it, cause if it hits you I predict a role reversal between predator and prey. :D

Very nice knot work!

12. hawaiianhawk

hawaiianhawk

Dec 25, 2009
    Wow. That looks vicious and efficient and just plain ~nasty~. :D Awesome cord work.

13. paperairplane

paperairplane

Nov 6, 2008
    So this is for someone who can't hit themselves in the head hard enough with nunchucks?

14. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    I'm still in awe over this thing. Very professionally crafted modern take on an ancient survival tool. I might have to have one one of these days... gotta put your name down on my wish list :) Long range and short range self defense tool, hunting tool or weapon, all in one compact package... there are very few tools that could come close to its utility.

15. paracordist

paracordist

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks for kind and funny comments. I think a version with 1" bearings as opposed to the 1.5" in the picture would be a lot more user friendly with little sacrifice in power