MagnaCut Galley Rat vs Elmax Crab Trail

Deer and goat specifically. Should I go for a bigger blade? Only really processed birds, rabbit and fish.

They're magnacut and elmax and pretty thin so it really comes down to which blade style point that would work best for your cutting style.

Last edited:
They're both elmax and pretty thin so it really comes down to which blade style point that would work best for your cutting style.
My Galley Rat is Magnacut, didnt know it was available in Elmax.

Which would be better, in your opinion, for skinning game and why?
I have both the knives you are talking about and got them for just what you are talking about except deer size game. I havent however used either one of them yet. I can post some pics of them together if that would help you. I do think that both are too big for bird and rabbit knives. Fish, both would work great but I would lean towards the Galley Rat for fish.

I have used both the Galley Rat in Magnacut and the Crab Shack in Elmax to field dress larger game, I can say with confidence that they are equally capable to the task. they both stayed extremely sharp through multiple dressings ( including rib cages of whitetail) without needing to be resharpened. As with anything the right tool for the right job goes a long way, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either.

My Galley Rat is Magnacut, didnt know it was available in Elmax.

I have both the knives you are talking about and got them for just what you are talking about except deer size game. I havent however used either one of them yet. I can post some pics of them together if that would help you. I do think that both are too big for bird and rabbit knives. Fish, both would work great but I would lean towards the Galley Rat for fish.
I'd love a side by side shot of the two, of you have the time. Thanks in advance!

Back