Magnacut-is-in-the-house.

Supposedly I have. I have several knives in 3V as well as several in supposedly D3V. I MAY be able to discern a slight advantage in D3V in my usage, over 3V. But not over INFI. So, not sure what else to say.
I think a lot of it was expectation. I heard so much hype on 3V, and then D3V, that I was expecting a light saber. Not unlike the hype that I have heard over INFI (although it was of a different hype, toughness and ease of sharpening moreso that edge holding). So, when I got 3V/D3V, didn't live up to my expectations. I expected INFI to be tough (which it most certainly is), but I had read that it lacked a little in edge holding, placed the premium on toughness. Well, it holds an edge much better than I was expecting. So, I've been impressed with INFI, less so with (D)3V. In truth, to the limits of what I put them through they're both great steels. But it sure seems to me that INFI holds a better edge longer than (D)3V. And that is really all that matters. That, plus design, plus price, for my usage. I won't be pursuing any more 3V nor D3V for purely the fact the blade is in either of those steels. It just isn't worth it to me. Plus, it has been my experience, just as hyped, that INFI is easy to bring back to screaming sharpness with minimum of hassle. Maybe Magnacut will work the same way for me.
On what media are you referring to? When you mention edge holding, do you cut carboard boxes, rope or are you splitting and chopping wood? Non abrassives or abrasives. And then also edge angles, are they similar.

(In short)At the same edge angle and thickness between D3v and Infi cutting abrasive materials the mid carbon steel will definitely lack. On non abrasive materials you will see the opposite. I do a shiteload of testing.

On what media are you referring to? When you mention edge holding, do you cut carboard boxes, rope or are you splitting and chopping wood? Non abrassives or abrasives. And then also edge angles, are they similar.

(In short)At the same edge angle and thickness between D3v and Infi cutting abrasive materials the mid carbon steel will definitely lack. On non abrasive materials you will see the opposite. I do a shiteload of testing.
See post #17. (Hopefully that worked.) Basically everything you mention, except rope (don't recall cutting rope). Edge angles are as the manufacturer felt compelled to grind them. What THEY thought was the best edge angle and thickness, I would have to assume. Definitely not the same angles between a Busse and a Survive.

Dutch Bushcraft Knives posted a video yesterday with a test on Bark River magna cut. I don't want to post the link because it's not Busse, and I don't want to get in trouble. But it's easy to find.

Dutch Bushcraft Knives posted a video yesterday with a test on Bark River magna cut. I don't want to post the link because it's not Busse, and I don't want to get in trouble. But it's easy to find.
I saw it too. It looks like it broke with light batoning. There was an inclusion in the steel or something, right? It looked like a bad heat treat. I hope it's not a common thing with all their new magnacut knives.

I saw it too. It looks like it broke with light batoning. There was an inclusion in the steel or something, right? It looked like a bad heat treat. I hope it's not a common thing with all their new magnacut knives.

My understanding is it's common result of both their heat treat, if you can call it such a thing, along with a general blame the customer for everything no matter how trivial. Cliff Stamp has spoken out publicly against Mike Stewart for both having no real knowledge of sound metallurgy and attacking customers for 'abusing' knives by ..... cutting wood without impact. Steer clear and you'll be far better off, IMO.

My understanding is it's common result of both their heat treat, if you can call it such a thing, along with a general blame the customer for everything no matter how trivial. Cliff Stamp has spoken out publicly against Mike Stewart for both having no real knowledge of sound metallurgy and attacking customers for 'abusing' knives by ..... cutting wood without impact. Steer clear and you'll be far better off, IMO.
Do they heat treat everything in house?

Bark River usually grinds a good knife and I haven't had issues with their heat treat besides overheated edges, but I give them a good sharpening when I first get them to avoid any issues.

Do they heat treat everything in house?

Bark River usually grinds a good knife and I haven't had issues with their heat treat besides overheated edges, but I give them a good sharpening when I first get them to avoid any issues.

He's on record saying that to him an ideal microstructure for steel would be one that has the largest grain size possible, this is just so wrong it's not even funny and is the precise way to make the lowest performing blade.

He's on record saying that to him an ideal microstructure for steel would be one that has the largest grain size possible, this is just so wrong it's not even funny and is the precise way to make the lowest performing blade.
I agree with you, but he's not the one making the knives. Just because he says something dumb, doesn't mean his employees don't know what they're doing.
If bad ht is to blame, then who heat treats their magnacut?

A few companies I will never buy from and Barkriver is at the top.

This thread is really not having anything to do with Busse any longer.

Would love some kind of update.
I am really sure if Jerry uses the steel or wants to update anyone he sure will ;)
But I can not speak for him, as I am not him

I agree with you, but he's not the one making the knives. Just because he says something dumb, doesn't mean his employees don't know what they're doing.
If bad ht is to blame, then who heat treats their magnacut?

The problem with that concept is owners tend to run companies from the top down, even if there are more qualified people for whatever reason. I just argued (politely) against my boss (the owner) last week and was promptly terminated to be made an example of to breed more fear in the people he 'kept' on board. Ego is a terrible thing and I think in the end it's going to sink his company (my ex-boss), not listening to the one person who had the forward thinking to just treat his team with respect and not yell and cuss at them.

The problem with that concept is owners tend to run companies from the top down, even if there are more qualified people for whatever reason. I just argued (politely) against my boss (the owner) last week and was promptly terminated to be made an example of to breed more fear in the people he 'kept' on board. Ego is a terrible thing and I think in the end it's going to sink his company (my ex-boss), not listening to the one person who had the forward thinking to just treat his team with respect and not yell and cuss at them.
Sorry to hear that. The good news is you don't work for that jackass anymore.

Shitty! Tons of great paying jobs here in bozeman, crazy economy here šŸ˜

Shitty! Tons of great paying jobs here in bozeman, crazy economy here šŸ˜

Thanks for the kind words, I did have an exit planned and foresaw this day coming as only a matter of time. I don't think that will be necessary but I'll keep it in mind, might be a touch cold for me there anymore... I live in the Gulf now in the hot and muggy.

Back