Magnetic INFI?

BlackKnight86

Platinum Member
I've got a double cut AD and a double cut MrS, both with black G10 scales. They sit in a drawer most of the time, back-ups to my two primary EDCs; meaning that they are basically safe queens.

Today, I opened the drawer and saw that the two were connected on the metal about a third of the way from the end of the handle...definitely a magnetic attraction. It doesn't appear to be throughout the knives...I tested it a bit by touching different areas together; but the one spot is definitely magnetized. Tomorrow, I'm going to get a bunch of paper clips to see how much and specifically where the effect is.

Has anyone ever seen that happen before? The only time I have is with flatware in this particular restaurant...not very strong; but magnetized enough to provide entertainment while waiting for dinner. A friend speculated that the flatware was magnetized by automated magnetic separater in the dishwashing area...not sure about the truth of that, but I really didn't bother checking.

Of course, with my knives, it raised a few questions. So, has anyone here ever run across something like that? What could cause it? If it's contact with a magnet, how much would it have to be to actually impart the properties to the steel? I've never placed it near a magnet, but I bought it on the exchange, so I can't say for sure. Is it something permanent, or is there a way to remove the magnetic properties? And, last but not least, is it something that can potentially harm the knife?

Thanks, guys!

BK86

i wonder if it has something to do with the shop or the manufacturing process at the shop because my 154cm HC was really magnetic.

my GW is also magnetic but not as much as the HC

image22-1-1.jpg

image20-1-1.jpg

image16-4.jpg

Most likely the INFI is kept in place by magnets in the Busse factory whilst they grind the knife. They kinda forgot to demagnetize!! (or see it this way; they added another functionality:D)

No worries about the steelproperties!

Last edited:
I was just telling Lazlo about this - I set a HOGFSH on top of my CRT monitor yesterday and the color washed out. Huh? So I tried dangling a beaded metal chain close to the blade - and the knife attracted and captured it. Weird. :cool:

Mike

Last edited:

idahoskunk

Gold Member
it is my understanding that the magnetized knives were all packed by amy. they probably pick up some of her personality.

BlackKnight86

Platinum Member
How interesting! I've never really checked any of my knives, before, Busse or otherwise. So it looks like this is not uncommon, huh?

Thanks for the info, guys!

I had noticed it before with some of my blades as well...

I'll buy the Amy-0 explaination! :D