• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Magnum Cataloge

I just found out I can get a BM Spike for just under six dollars! Man I sure wish I had waited before I bought my first one.
Chet

They are fake
frown.gif

I know but I didn't get to go to the Blade Show so I needed something to talk about. I've heard that patent and maritime are the only true areas of legal specialization. Is there a patent attorny on the forum? How can BM stop this? Or do they want to? It seems like a clear cut rip off to me.
Chet

If BM had a patent, which I'm betting they don't. The "Spike" is just a shape, not a mechanism or idea that can be described in pattent terms. Yeah, Spyderco has patented the S-curve on the Civilian (I understand) and Cold Steel has somehow patented the "Nogales Clip Point" (though it's a shape several centuries old), but in general folks can't or don't apply patents to knife designs unless it's for some new lock or clip or something.

What rip-offs fail to respect is intellectual property. Things don't need a patent to be intellectual property, but that's virtually impossible (and unprofitable) to defend. The best defense is what we can do as buyers - don't buy rip-offs!!!

Incidentally, I just noticed a new S&W automatic knife that's a clear rip-off of the Benchmade Pardue 3500. What a shame! The worst thing is when legitimate companies produce quality knives but cannot apparently produce quality designs of their own. I held the S&W line in very high regard as low- to mid-priced, solid, reliable knives (folders, fixed blades, and autos). They have been sorely tarnished in my eyes by the addition of this imposter to their line.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Back