mailed my knife back today, empty pockets

mailed by sebenza small 21 back today. but I did not get another edc prior

I have a necker/fixed blade for some uses. and I have a backpacker model that should arrive next week

but neither of those are edc I can slip in my pocket, no matter what I am wearing

I am torn between trying to make do or buying another knife

If I buy another it is situation where I do not want 1) sebenza knock off 2) something expensive 3) something really cheap

I am thinking mini griptilian. under $100, good reputation, etc

what sub-$80 folding edc knives do y'all carry for backup? bc once the sebenza is back it will go to riding in my center console or something.

When I sent my small regular back I got a 3" Hinderer. I know a little more than the price you have listed but I feel I will sell it for really no loss and got to carry another quality knife that I know I could count on. The mini grip is a good one also.

Look at Swiss Army Tinker. It's about 3.5" long for easy pocket carry, has both kinds of screwdrivers and only costs about $25. It's an excellent center console knife.

I have a Kershaw Leek in my center console. For a few weeks, almost anything will do.

Sub-$80 is Victorinox Alox Cadet or Alox Bantam. The former when I'm wearing jeans, and the latter for shorts.

I started office-EDC-ing the Cadet when switching to my current job. It has been doing a lot of food prep and package opening, and it held up great. Photo was taken after 2.5 years of EDC from Mo-Fr.

HxVD766.jpg

Last edited:
Kershaw Link in S35VN, its assisted open, but that doesn't bother me. The S35VN Link runs close to 90.00

I would definitely say an FRN Native 5 by spyderco. Outstanding knife for the money.

OR, if you're into traditionals, I'd look into something by GEC. I kind of think of them as the CRK of the traditional knife world.

Now is your chance to get another CRK, you'll never be sorry! So pick one you;ve been wanting.. doing without is not an option!!!

When I sent to CRK my large Inkosi and 21, I picked up a "Rat II" , econmical, a sharp edge, smooth opening and closing.

Small but "It will cut"...

The answers are already above. An Alox Cadet or Native 5. The Native 5 is the knife I've been most surprised by. You might just find yourself in an EDC rotation once the Sebenza comes home. The Cadet might wind up riding along with you AND the 21.

Spyderco Delica 4 would be a great sub $100 substitute. I've got a Strider PT that I carry sometimes without the pocket clip as a backup/substitute.

If it is just going to ride in the center console after the CRK is back, get a Ontario Rat 2.

Haaa, this is a good excuse to get another CRK.

BTW my small blade backup is infact a Mini griptilian with 154CM. Its light and easy to edc.

...For a few weeks, almost anything will do.

I'm guessing you have never sent anything to CRK before. ;)

Turnaround time for a spa treatment is running about 6-8 weeks. The last one I sent took 9 weeks. If it's some type of warranty issue you can cut the time in half, but you're still probably looking at over a month.

I would say your best bet is to get a good quality knife that will be both useful now, and a good addition to the Seb once it returns in 2 months. I like the Delica and Cadet options that have been given so far. Of the 2 I would pick the cadet as it will both "get you by" now, and be a great 2nd pocket carry once your Seb returns to primary duty.

Last edited:
Back