1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Maine Axes -post 'em up

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Apr 18, 2012.

1. droppoint1

droppoint1

Nov 16, 2009
    -

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Miller '72, Square_peg and 300Six like this.
  2. droppoint1

droppoint1

Nov 16, 2009
    -

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Miller '72 and 300Six like this.
  3. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    phantomknives likes this.
  4. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Yankee Josh, Miller '72 and Agent_H like this.
  5. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  6. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Looks vaguely northeastern.

7. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    An unexpected twist: Kelly made axes for Bigelow & Dowse in the New England, Maine, and Wedge patterns, etc., according to this article from 1890:

A carload of Axes has recently been shipped by the Kelly Axe Mfg Company, Louisville Ky, to Bigelow & Dowse, Boston Mass, their New England agents. This lot of Axes consisted of an assortment of New England, Maine, and Wedge Pattern Single Bits, Perfect Double Bits, Boys Axes, and Men's Handled Axes. The car containing them was placarded liberally with a handsome poster illustrating the Axes and calling attention to the New England agency the regular use of these posters being in connection with the sale of the goods by Bigelow & Dowse. This poster gives illustrations of the Kelly Perfect Axe which is made under recent patents showing it double bitted and in the Maine and New England patterns single bit. It is an interesting and suggestive fact to find New England in this manner drawing on Kentucky for Axes and at the same time it illustrates the enterprise with which the manufacturers are putting on the market this important line of goods.

[​IMG]

from The Iron Age, January 2, 1890, page 29

8. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    I still feel like a Maine maker made it based on the markings. I have seen them before I just can't place them. I'll try to look through my old pics for a style match.

9. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks Steve,
    This is amazing info.... Now we "ONLY" need Kelly, and Bigelow & Dowse catalogs from 19th century. :)
    I am curious when Kelly started making Rockaway axes.

10. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    guys could this be a maine? it's got a full size eye but the bits look pretty lengthy and obviously no diamond eye

Nbrackett and A17 like this.
  11. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Based o
    Based on that pic alone I would guess no.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  12. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    when I get home I can take one in comparison to another head and weigh it

13. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    i believe you to be right mr. lyttle, it's 2 3/4 pounds out of 3

14. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Is that the Woodslasher??

phantomknives likes this.
  15. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    yes it is, i completely forgot until i went to take this picture

Brian Rust likes this.
  16. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Also, Maine heads and Oakland heads in particular tend to have very straight forge weld lines.

17. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Pretty happy with this 2.5lb NOS S&N Axe I picked up. It’s in pristine condition with most of the wax still on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]