Maintaining Shapton Glass 120 grit stone.

I recently purchased a Shapton Glass 122.5 micron sharpening stone and used it for a lot knives for repairing the chipped edges. It's beginning to dish a bit and I was trying to look for a lapping plate for the stone because my Shapton Diamond Lapping Plate shouldn't be used for grits under 500. So, my question is; is there a lapping stone out there that will help flatten a stone as course as the one I have, or should I just purchase it again (lol)? I've looked at a few lapping diamond plates and stones but I'm not sure if they will work, so I could really use some advice on this topic.

I recently purchased a Shapton Glass 122.5 micron sharpening stone and used it for a lot knives for repairing the chipped edges. It's beginning to dish a bit and I was trying to look for a lapping plate for the stone because my Shapton Diamond Lapping Plate shouldn't be used for grits under 500. So, my question is; is there a lapping stone out there that will help flatten a stone as course as the one I have, or should I just purchase it again (lol)? I've looked at a few lapping diamond plates and stones but I'm not sure if they will work, so I could really use some advice on this topic.

There are many options, but if you want a diamond plate... take a look at NanoHone lapping plates... they make one for coarse stones.

A cheap alternative that I use and works well is some 3m poly backed sand paper from lowes (yellow in color) or from home depot it's (purple). It's the made in Canada stuff that is for wood working however the stuff is tough as nails and actually levels stones well. Get that with a sheet of 1/8" pre-cut glass for around $10.

I normally use the 80 grit.

B27968B1-855B-4AC3-AE9A-B80C9ECE863E.jpeg Atoma makes a coarse diamond plate, but the one I have is not very well marked, and I can’t find the box.

I use this atoma plate to flatten my Shapton glass stones and it has worked great

Is the Atoma plate a 140 grit or a dedicated flattening stone?

I ask that because i use an Atoma 140 for flattening Shapton Glass and Pro upon 500 grit and i feel a bit anxious to use my Atoma on a Shapton 120.
The rare informations i've gathered were contradictory.
What do you think?

Dan.

My Atoma is a 140, but my coarsest Shapton is 250. I don’t know what to tell you. My guess is that you don’t want to put too smooth of a finish on a coarse stone.

Thanks tiguy7,

Your guess is the right one. That and some damage on the Atoma.

Dan.

Texture is the problem and you will even find texture to be a problem if you use the DGLP on the 500. In my experience the DGLP will smooth the 500 and make it burnish and polish more than cut and grind. I actually sold my DGLP and just use the Atoma 140 for all my lapping needs.

The Atoma 140 will work to level the SG120 if needed but the surface texture will be smoother and the stone will not work as it should. Shapton recommends loose Sic powder to lap the 120, 220 and 320 Shapton Glass stones and does so for good reason. I find that the 320 is about as low as I can get with the Atoma 140 before I notice surface texture issues.

The actually problem is the diamond plate is cutting the abrasive on the surface of the stone and not exposing it thus causing a smoother surface.

Also, you will eventually damage the Atoma using it on such coarse stones. It's how I wore the center out of my first Atoma.

Thanks jason,
You confirm my doubts. I'll find an other solution. Probably expensive but the Shapton stones deserve to be well treated.

Dan.

I found out basically the exactly what Jason posted ... Sic powder was recommended ... I use the Atoma for most lapping and I did use one for all my lapping until I noticed the stones weren't giving me the same feedback ...

and I found I had actually worn my Atoma 140 and replaced it ... so I think you're on the right track ...

Back