How To maintenance of plastic knife handle

Oké guys here is the thing, I own Linder combat S. It may sound silly but I borrowed it for some stupid movie we were making for a teambuilding day in the company (they needed a scarry looking knife). The guy who borrowed it was not aware of how to use a knife and put the knife point once in a table (not very hard) and knocked the handle a few times on the table (with some mediocre force; he was playing as if he was angry but he wasn't of course). On first sight the knife point is not compromised, but a small scratch was left on the end of the knife handle. So now I have two question; first will the quality of the knife or handle be compromised in the future due to this knocking? There is no visual damage (cracks or dings) on the handle apart from the small scratch, the blade seems oké. Second, I was wondering what you use to pollish and maintian the knife handle in the future

and a lesson to you all, never borrow you do care about as a prop for a movie, people tend to overplay their role and think their own little performance is more important than the stuff they borrowed from you. Lesson learned...

If the plastic isn't actually cracked, a small scratch on the surface isn't likely to compromise it's strength or durability.

With most plastics, it's pretty easy to lightly sand scratches out with some high-grit wet-or-dry sandpaper (usually silicon carbide, sometimes aluminum oxide). Start with something like 800 or 1000 grit - if that is successful, continue to 1500 and 2000 grit to bring up some of the polish. After that, polishing with something like Flitz paste will work well. If the scratches are very deep and aren't removed as above, starting a bit lower in grit to maybe 600 or 400 should work more efficiently. Then, go back up the grit chain again (800, 1000, ...2000) and polish to remove the rest of the coarser sanding scratches.

Used either by itself, or in combination with sanding, something like a Scotch-Brite pad can also sometimes work to remove light scratches. The green ones found at the grocery store in the house/kitchen cleaning supplies can leave a fairly attractive satin finish on plastics and metals, if you don't want to take it all the way to a high-gloss polish.

Last edited:
Back