Maker introduction and a stockman

A couple of weeks ago Chui Chui posted some photos of knives I made on this forum but I couldn't say much about them or myself at the time as I did not have my maker's membership paid up.
I guess I can now properly introduce myself and tell a bit of my story:
I started making knives in 1997, was a full time maker until 2001. Seven years ago I made some multiblades but became progressively more far sighted so I gave it up. Then, in August of this year I decided to have another go as my eyes seemed to have stopped their outward wandering. I then had to learn how to make a knife while wearing optivisors, which took a while, the first couple of knives were not suitable for human consumption.
Perseverance paid off:
Knife nr 11 of 2019, a damascus five blade, won Best Art Folder and knife nr 15, a stockman, won Best Working Folder at the Brooklyn Knife Show, which was held in Pretoria at the end of November.

I have delivered nr 15 to its very happy owner:
3 3/4"closed, SAE1070 blades and springs, relieved brass liners, bronze bolsters and pins, stabilized burl oak scales.
C64ZwOVh.jpg

9VZTiGzh.jpg

6yRxt70h.jpg

Nz4qAVRh.jpg

9f4o3A0h.jpg

Thank you for looking, questions and comments welcome!

.......awesome, Tiaan :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very glad you sorted out the eyesight issue, would’ve been a tad awkward otherwise..!

Am more a single blade guy, but your folders have made me sit up...

Lovely - traditional & unique with wonderful subtle details. Good for you to persevere. :thumbsup:

All the best.

Ray

Beautiful work Tiaan. As Paul said, I too am a single blade guy but there is no denying your talent. I've seen comments criticizing the pins but I like them.

Very very nice! I’m a sucker for a custom stockman. Love your blade shapes, especially that pen blade. The rounded off sheepsfoot also has a pleasing curve. The shape of the handle, the filing on the liner. Very nice, indeed. I think I just added you to my future must have list.

A couple of weeks ago Chui Chui posted some photos of knives I made on this forum but I couldn't say much about them or myself at the time as I did not have my maker's membership paid up.
I guess I can now properly introduce myself and tell a bit of my story:
I started making knives in 1997, was a full time maker until 2001. Seven years ago I made some multiblades but became progressively more far sighted so I gave it up. Then, in August of this year I decided to have another go as my eyes seemed to have stopped their outward wandering. I then had to learn how to make a knife while wearing optivisors, which took a while, the first couple of knives were not suitable for human consumption.
Perseverance paid off:
Knife nr 11 of 2019, a damascus five blade, won Best Art Folder and knife nr 15, a stockman, won Best Working Folder at the Brooklyn Knife Show, which was held in Pretoria at the end of November.

I have delivered nr 15 to its very happy owner:
3 3/4"closed, SAE1070 blades and springs, relieved brass liners, bronze bolsters and pins, stabilized burl oak scales.
C64ZwOVh.jpg

9VZTiGzh.jpg

6yRxt70h.jpg

Nz4qAVRh.jpg

9f4o3A0h.jpg

Thank you for looking, questions and comments welcome!

Beautiful! I'd carry and use that knife in a heartbeat!

Zieg

Very, very well done!!

I love a stockman with a pen blade instead of a spey, much more useful in the non live stock world. And I still love the domed pins that can be snugged up if needed. And I will echo the statement that the burled oak is stunning. Absolutely stunning. The nesting of the pen and sheepfoot blade is great. Very neatly done.

I'd carry and use the heck outa that knife. Its too beautiful not to carry and use. I give it a five thumbs up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd steal it :D:eek: I also like the blade combination and the finish of nesting them in, a challenge in itself .

Have you made any single-spring Penknife types with a blade at each end at all?

Regards, Will

Back