Makers in the Albuquerque, New Mexico Area?

Hello guys,

I was wondering if there's any makers in the Albuquerque, New Mexico area willing to teach me how to hollowgrind, shape handles, make folders, etc....anything would be great. Thank you in advance!

Pohan

Two of the best knifemakers anywhere, Jerry Duran and Joe Cordova, and perhaps others, too, will be at the Contemporary (not the Traditional, the Contemporary) Spanish Market just off the Santa Fe Plaza this weekend. The local paper, The Santa Fe New Mexican, has a special insert section today showing precisely where Duran and Cordova will be. But even without it, you won't have any trouble finding them. Both are friendly, helpful men.

Joe is awesome, friendly and willing to share. You can not go wrong talking to him.

Tim

Two of the best knifemakers anywhere, Jerry Duran and Joe Cordova, and perhaps others, too, will be at the Contemporary (not the Traditional, the Contemporary) Spanish Market just off the Santa Fe Plaza this weekend. The local paper, The Santa Fe New Mexican, has a special insert section today showing precisely where Duran and Cordova will be. But even without it, you won't have any trouble finding them. Both are friendly, helpful men.

They'll be there exhibiting knives? Or shopping? and thanks for the heads up!

Me teach knifemaking? Nahhh, I'm just getting started. But I have spoken with Jerry Duran and he is extremely generous with advice. I got the impression that Joe Cordova, who was away from his booth when I came by last year, is the same. As were the several other makers at the Contemporary Market. Duran, by the way, is in Booth 26 on the West side of Lincoiln Avenue going away from the Plaza. Cordova is catacorner across the street, in Booth 102. A bit farther north on the West side, is Albert MB Trujillo, maker of knives and sheaths. Last couple of years there has been a virtually unadvertised knifemaker show, New Mexican and other makers, in a little hotel over on the next block to the East, forget the name of the hotel, sorry. One of the above may know about it if it is happening this year, and there may well be more makers in the market as well. There were last year. Yes, these guys are definitely there to sell their knives. Weather forecast calls for rain, alas... it's an outdoor market, a street fair.

Last couple of years there has been a virtually unadvertised knifemaker show, New Mexican and other makers, in a little hotel over on the next block to the East, forget the name of the hotel, sorry

Wow, I've never heard of this... but I would definitely be interested!

I just checked with the hotel where the mini- show was last year and they say it appears to be on for this year, too: Hotel Plaza Real, 125 Washington Avenue, 505-988-4900. I hope this info is correct. The desk clerk was not absolutely certain. (This is, after all, Santa Fe.) If you go, and the show is where it has been in the past, it is up on the second floor, a large room full of makers and one ivory-carver from Alaska....

FYI, I have tried several times today to get a hard check on whether that hotel knife show in Santa Fe is happening this year, and have not succeeded. Nobody in the event planning department at the Plaza Real hotel has heard of any such show this weekend. But the show had no advertising last couple of years, nor did they even have a listing on the events bulletin board in the hotel lobby. Sooooo... if you are in Santa Fe, check the makers scheduled for the Contemporary Spanish Market, and maybe they will know. Sorry.

Back