Makers mark Etching help

Tvl

Hello everyone,

I recently bought stencils from T.U.S tech.
and I'm practicing using them now, but i can't seem to figure out how to stop the bleeding/shadowing around my mark.
I'm using a simple 9v battery and alligator clips with some cotton on it.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers,
thomas

Did you make sure to seal the stencil off with masking tape? I use an actual etcher with a pad, I've never tried it that way. Do you neutralize it right after you etch? I had that issue when I used too much enchant.

Too much etching solution can cause this. I put some on the pad and then dab it on a clean cloth a couple times. You can wet the blade under the stencil with windex to help it seal off.

I'm not sure what you mean with neutralizing right after etching nic., and i did not use masking tape as i was practicing and the stencil is big and im sure no water got on the sides. it shadowed at the letters itself, not on the stencil sides.

I tried it with a soaked cotton , and with a fairly ''dry'' cotton. both shadowed the letters.
so the windex doesnt direct the current? when i put it under the stencil?

I'm using a simple 9v battery and alligator clips with some cotton on it.
That's a pretty primitive set up. I have doubts that you are going to get good, or consistent results using what you have. I suggest you look into a better power supply with a carbon or stainless pad covered with felt and a good etching solution. There are plans online for making your own.

If you don't hold the stencil completely still it will also shadow. Cut it in to a small rectangle and tape it to the steel with scotch tape.

Thanks you guys, for the fast replies.
Currently I am on vacation at my grandparents and wanted to etch the knife I made for my grandfather.
I will keep practicing for now, maybe I can get a decent result with the advice.
As soon as I am home I will look into a better set up. Or maybe in the store where I am at now.

Etching too long will cause a fuzziness around the etch. I suggest also that you contact IMG in Utica , New York for some of their etchant called #94. It is the best in my opinion. Try to get a better etching setup if you want professional results. TUS stencils are first class so your problem is probably a combination of too long of an etch and need of better etchant solution. This is just my opinion from my experience. Larry

BAriQ0Bl.jpg

Thanks guys.
this will help a bunch.
getting better at it every time I practice.
cut the stencil in squares and using tape now.
still using the cheapo set up, but its what I got for now.

Cheers,
Thomas

Back