Making fire with a VTAC?!

Dunner

I have been thinking about trying primitive firebuilding with a bow drill. I found that my VTAC would make a very nice bow, though it provides a shorter stroke that might be ideal. I made a small thin piece of wood to protect a boot lace from the edge of the hawk. I made a loop and strung it over the top corner of the hawk. I then ran the boot lace through the lanyard hole and simply wrapped it to the desired tension. I am still working out my technique and so far only have two warm pieces of wood. I got that spindle really flying though and once I get the correct shape on my components and perhaps have better materials...I should have fire :D

The same could be done with any hawk I suppose but the lanyard hole makes it a lot easier. I am going to have to drill a hole in the handle on my Rainier Scout to use in the same way. I have hardly been able to put that thing down since receiving it. Thanks Andy and your crew.

What an awesome idea! I gotta try it! Of course, also gotta untie my nice paracord lanyard first...
Me and the Wife play at primitive fire starting. this would make a good project. We end up making more fires by accident then we do on puropse, though.
I am also always attempting to figure out multiple uses for my gear. So now, the VTAC is a weapon, cutting tool, hatchet, toy (well, to me when it is thrown it's a toy), a nice friend to have in hand when answering the door at 4 a.m. and, potentially, a source of fire. Outstanding!

Back