1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Making mosaic pins/tubes

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Langadune, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Langadune

Langadune

Apr 19, 2012
    Hopefully this is right place for this... I've had limited success so far with making some simple mosaic pins for my knives...still in the early stages of figuring.g out what I'll want. That being said, there are a few aspects of the technique that are still eluding me. I've seen some pins were the internal pieces seem to float, like a tube within a tube, or the H in HHH's knife pins. I can't figure out how to get the pieces to stay in place while the epoxy sets up.

I'd appreciate help from anybody with some experience in this with some tips or tricks.

2. milesofalaska

milesofalaska

Dec 4, 2010
    Like you I just began to try making pins. I have more luck making the pins knife width long , one pin at a time. Even as I build the knife. I hold inner tubes, wires in place with a little thin super glue. And or I allow the inner parts to extend beyond the outer tube to be trimmed later. Or I put tape on the end of the tube and inject glue with a throw away syringe from the top. The choices depend on the design. There are colored super glue products in various viscosities I like better then epoxy. They set up when I spray with the accelerator and it’d done before it drips out, (a finger over the bottom for 10 seconds).

3. timbit

timbit

Jul 21, 2011
    If it was me, i'd make a jig to hold the stuff in place.

4. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Have two tubes, one whose inside diameter is the same as the outside diameter of the first tube.
    Cut the first (wider) tube as wide as the handle will be.
    Cut the second tube shorter and insert in the first tube.
    Now you can put in what you like. (I like mosaic pins that look like a flower)
    Fill the empty spaces with coloured epoxy and after drying sand flush.
    Tadaa

5. Langadune

Langadune

Apr 19, 2012
    That's a good idea! I may give that a try.