Making Old Fiddles into New Favorites

Huh, I thought you had to break off the tip to customize a Fiddleback...

Those are osage "apples", aren't they?

That is a nice knife, and great pictures.
Thank you!!

I have broken my share of tips.

Yes, they are Osage "apples", "hedge apples", Osage oranges, alien brains, or whatever else they may be called. In a few weeks I will spend an hour kicking them out of the lawn down the bank into the weeds.

How did your Arete get a tan line?

Looks cool - I assume you gently scrubbed the patina off the wood?

I wrapped it in painters tape and then gave it a light sanding starting at 180 grit.
Should be interesting to watch the lighter tone darken again, while the darker tone continues to deepen.

Have you in the past, ever tried to dye handle scales (not necessarily a Fiddleback)?

Should be interesting to watch the lighter tone darken again, while the darker tone continues to deepen.

Have you in the past, ever tried to dye handle scales (not necessarily a Fiddleback)?
Agreed, it will be fun watching it age. I will probably give it another sanding in a few more years for even more of a contrast.

Screenshot_20210909-111904_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210909-111715_Chrome.jpg
I do have some experience dying wood. Years ago I sanded down all of the above and dyed them to have a matching set. I've done a few other projects since, but seem to have lost the pics. I was putting scales on blanks for a hobby for a few years and had alot of fun applying dye to the Curly woods.

Agreed, it will be fun watching it age. I will probably give it another sanding in a few more years for even more of a contrast.

View attachment 1636840
View attachment 1636841
I do have some experience dying wood. Years ago I sanded down all of the above and dyed them to have a matching set. I've done a few other projects since, but seem to have lost the pics. I was putting scales on blanks for a hobby for a few years and had alot of fun applying dye to the Curly woods.
Nice job - don't know if the maple glows in the dark, but it certainly glows in the day.

Back