Making pocket clips

Hello,
I did a search for this, but did not come up with anything. I would like to make my own clips but am unsure as to how to do it? What steel are the clips made from and how would I make them?
Thank you,
Peter

Peter, you can easily make one just by cutting out a piece of steel or titanium with shears. I usually use material that is .050" in thickness. After cutting out a rough shape I then grind it down to the desired finished shape. You could use a bench grinder for this if you don't have a belt grinder or even files.

Drill the screw holes as close in size as possible. You don't want any slop so make the holes so that the screws will just fit through. At this point you will want to apply any finishes that you may wish to use to the metal. It's alot easier to do any sanding or brushed finishes now.

Then, using pliers, start bending into a pocket clip shape. Cover your plier jaws with leather or use smooth jawed pliers to keep from marring the surface of the clip. It's really not hard to do. Study a factory clip while you're doing it and you'll be fine. Hope that helps. :)

You don't need to do anything to harden the clip? How does the clip keep it's shape? I keep breaking my clip off my Spyderco Lum Chinese Folder, so I'm really interested in this thread.

No need to harden it if you're using ti or 304 stainless. These are small things here, so they possess a lot of lateral strength.

Back