1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

MALLA KHUKURI info

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Steve Of England, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Steve Of England

Steve Of England

May 17, 2019
    Hi. Are there any pictures and specifications on this particular weapon found that can be accessed anywhere for further reading?

On another note, I am looking for an original village type of CHAINPURE for my collection and cannot seem to find a model on your website. there are plenty out there from other makers and just wanted to compare yours, unless you only make to order that is.

Any help with these matters would be great esp' any on the MALLA poser.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I believe it says somewhere at the HI web site (online store) that the HI Malla is based on an authentic old Malla that they found, but I wouldn't swear to this. In any case, HI versions of traditional models tend to be beefier and of higher quality than the originals. Here's one of mine, 20" overall length and 32.7 oz (blade only, not including scabbard). It's a big knife! This seems to be on the high end of length/weight for the HI Malla.

Malla20in-Lachhu32.7oz-01cr.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Most of the Chainpuri models that Yangdu sells are actually from Chainpur, rather than made by HI kamis. She posts them from time to time on this forum.

I suggest that you send her an email. She might have one in stock.

Here's one with a fancy carved handle that was made by an HI kami (Lokendra). It's 21" overall length, 26 oz (blade only):

Chainpuri21in-Limbuwan-Lokendra26oz-for-Dave-01cr.jpg Chainpuri21in-Limbuwan-Lokendra26oz-for-Dave-02cr.jpg

4. Steve Of England

Steve Of England

May 17, 2019
    Yes, it's the authentic one found that takes my interest.
    Yours is a good representation of one advertised but HI seem to have quite some variations to this khukuri to purchase. The one you have is more or less a good example of the original I would assume.
    Thanks for the reply

5. Steve Of England

Steve Of England

May 17, 2019
    Very nice that CHAINPURE. daft as it may seem but I am after a very basic, traditional village one to display as a true representation of a "workhorse".
    I will send an email about getting hold of one especially with the knowledge they actually come from that area and seeing if good example can be gained and will keep my eyes on the forum posts for sure.
    Thanks again for the helpful information
    Cheers

stwm likes this.
  6. stwm

stwm

May 6, 2016
    Yangdu will take great care of you, Steve. I'm glad to hear that you're looking for one of the chainpuri - I have complete confidence that the items come from where they are said to be and are of top quality. I don't think anyone goes to the effort that HI does to make customers/family happy.

Steve Of England and George Azar like this.
  7. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Malla khukuri is replicated from an a khukuri identified by HMG Archeological Society as being an ancient khukuri from the Malla era. The khukuri is 19 inches, 2 inches wide, 7/16 thick and weighs about 2 & 1/4 pounds. There are a couple of unique things about the khukuri which should be mentioned. The spine is flat (rather than in the traditional "V")like our logo khukuri. Fit, finish, hardness, karda, chakma, scabbard and frog all rate excellent. Sometimes horn handle, sometimes wood.

George Azar and Steve Of England like this.
  8. Steve Of England

Steve Of England

May 17, 2019
    Looking forward to getting hold of one now especially after the positive response to my query.
    Cheers
    Steve

9. Steve Of England

Steve Of England

May 17, 2019
    Thank you. I have sent an email regarding these queries....

Well, just had a reply before getting round to finishing these posts, brilliant!
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Steve