1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Manix 2 G10

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Nocturnal13, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Nocturnal13

Nocturnal13

Apr 18, 2017
    Hi guys,

I have a black G10 Manix 2 since 2016. When I first got it, it wasn't free dropping and kind of stiff. That was when I was first getting started with folders so I wasn't really so much bothered by it.

Until about 2017 when I disassembled it for the first time. I don't recall if there was blade play (I don't think there was) but it was free dropping. Now I can't get rid of side to side play. If I tighten all the screws, including pivot, very tight there isn't any play when open. After a few openings it's back. I can eliminate this with loctite but when the knife is closed there is still side to side play that I just can't get rid of.

It isn't like a wiggle, more like a subtle click-click. And I don't understand that it is very free droppy and has bladeplay if it's fully tightened when it was too stiff when it was too tight before I adjusted the pivot from factory. Does anyone have any advice?

2. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    It's been a long day. But from what I read. It was stiff, you took it apart and now has blade play (slop)?

If you look at the pivot from the front can you see a bronze bushing on both sides?

This is what you want to see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Nocturnal13 likes this.
  3. Nocturnal13

Nocturnal13

Apr 18, 2017
    Yes all the pieces are together correctly. I have taken it apart a number of times and I'm not sure after which time it happened but I took it down 2 more times to make sure everything is in the right place.

4. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    One of the reasons i really dont like spydercos use of the stepped pivot design, you either get an awesome fitting one from the factory, or you can end up having to live with bladeplay. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old style pivot with a male/female traditional coupling like on the old military. Zero benefits to this new design. I was lucky enough to get awesome fitting paramilitary 2's that have zero play and free drop, even with the lock disengaged there is no side to side, but again, that's pure luck, cos i've seen plenty that are sloppy.

4mer_FMF, Nocturnal13 and ScooterG like this.
  5. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Send it back to Spyderco so they can put it back together for you. Consider any cost of that to be education expenses.

For me; never had a loose one including tool steel ones I took apart, put a patina on the blade and then re-assembled. Just luckier than some other folks I guess (or something else).

Nocturnal13 likes this.
  6. Sharps

Sharps Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2001
    The presentation side of the steel liner has a D shape as does one end of the pivot and must be positioned properly or it will not press into the liner fully which will leave you with additional room between the liners (= blade play). Double check that you've got the flat side of the pivot lined up properly with the flat spot in the steel liner and that the pivot end is fully within the liner.

Nocturnal13 likes this.
  7. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    This. And make sure the liner with the D-shaped hole is actually on the presentation, not the clip side. Don't ask me how I know :)

PS: most other Spydercos (Paramilitary, etc.) have the D-shaped hole on the other/clip side, so it might be confusing.

Nocturnal13 likes this.
  8. Nocturnal13

Nocturnal13

Apr 18, 2017
    I would but I live in South Africa so shipping back to manufacturers is gonna be a hassle.

9. Nocturnal13

Nocturnal13

Apr 18, 2017
    I did make sure of that. As well as make sure there isn't any hard pieces of loctite on the pivot. Thanks though

10. Nocturnal13

Nocturnal13

Apr 18, 2017
    T
    The manix has the D shape on presentation side but my pm2 is the other way around. It is kinda confusing..

11. Nocturnal13

Nocturnal13

Apr 18, 2017
    I should add that the "click-click" isn't extreme, I just stated that because it isn't just a bit if wiggle/flex that is normal on some knives when closed. I am at the point where these things bother me but I have enough knives to live with it except of course if I could fix it (if I did something wrong). But thanks for all the responses so far

12. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    If it is vertical blade play that you're talking about, I would consider it normal.As quite a few Manix 2 models have this,as the blade pivot is wide than the blade.

If you have a pair of digital calipers measure the blade pivot shoulder to shoulder where the washer sit and the blade tang thickness.You'll find that the blade a bit thinner thus the cause of vertical blade play

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Nocturnal13 likes this.
  13. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    Are you just worried about the play you're finding when the knife is closed?

I don't have much experience with that particular problem, because I've never looked for it... I wouldn't consider it an issue if I were to find it.

If you are concerned with blade play when the knife is open, that's a different issue, and merits some discussion (although this is a very subjective issue, so it's sometimes hard to remedy over the internet)

Nocturnal13 likes this.