Manix 2 Lightweight or G-10

If you're able to loosen the pivot a touch (I know the handle has pins, but I the pivot might still use screws), try that. Tiny changes in tension can make a pretty substantial difference, so I usually do increments of around 1/8 turn.

Thanks, I'll plan on trying that. Believe it or not, I don't even have a torx set yet. I ordered one last week though, and it should be here tomorrow.

My first one was pretty stiff and I couldn't flick it open for quite some time. But it eventually broke in and is fine now.

The second one I bought was great out of the box.

A few dops of oil and open and close it a few hundred times, thats all it should need to smooth out.

I'm talking about the action. My strongest spidey-flick only opens it about 3/4 of the way. It's like the detent is very strong, and I think the pivot may also be tight.

It takes a lot of force to move it out of the handle, and there's an audible "click" either the detent, or the beginning stage of the lock allowing movement. Then, there's just a lot of tension when opening/closing. Also when closing, it snaps closed. Does this sound like the detent or part of the lock's function? I'm still pretty new to knives.

I don't know if I should loosen the pivot slightly, or just try to work it in over time.

I also don't want to mess with it much in case something is wrong and it needs to be returned. That said, I kinda don't think anything is "wrong" with it necessarily.

Like I said earlier, a little break-in make some of this a little better. But some is also inherent in the design of the CBBL compared something like, say, a liner lock.

That initial resistance when opening, is indeed the blade riding on the ball. The ball acts as the detent, and will always be there. But don’t worry, it will wear in some. Mine currently feels just a tad heavier than a stiff light switch.

You will always have a nice, solid ‘thunk’ as it snaps open into the lock. Remember, there’s a spring pushing a rolling ball into place. Once that ball gets past the lip in the blade, the spring releases and snaps everything in place.

Personally, I like the solid, almost forceful snap into place when opening or closing the blade. Gives the knife a really solid feel to it. The stiffness in between the two... that will work smooth with some wear.

Thanks for the additional replies, and for the photos to keep me hot & bothered... I just went with the free shipping from Knife Center, so hopefully it will still be pretty quick.

My birthday is in April, so I figured if I end up wanting the G-10 version, I'll have a valid reason to order one in just a few months.

I like the way you think! LOL.

Thanks again for the additional help, and a bit of LOL!

As a quick update; I've been opening/closing it quite a bit, my fingers are sore from the lock. It may have gotten slightly better from that so far (it's not long I know). However, my torx set arrived today and I loosened the pivot about 2-3 ticks, maybe 1/10 to 1/8 of a turn total. It made a noticeable difference. It will flick open easier and drop shut (slowly), still with no blade play. So, much better action overall and still very solid.

I'm really liking this knife. I get what people say about the ergonomics; it just fits so well in my hand. I thought my Sage 5 LW had awesome ergonomics; and it does, but mainly when choked up on the choil. With a "normal" grip on the Sage 5, it's not stellar, but it shines when using the forward choil.

But the Manix is a perfect fit either way. Whether using a normal grip or using the forward choil, it's just great. I also love the blade size and shape, as well as the finish. Maybe it's just the nature of BD1N, but it's got a cool bead-blasted or stonewashed-looking finish that I like. It's also razor sharp with a very pointy tip.

It's just great all around so far. I'll stop before this turns into some kind of review or something.

Thanks again all!

Thanks again for the additional help, and a bit of LOL!

As a quick update; I've been opening/closing it quite a bit, my fingers are sore from the lock. It may have gotten slightly better from that so far (it's not long I know). However, my torx set arrived today and I loosened the pivot about 2-3 ticks, maybe 1/10 to 1/8 of a turn total. It made a noticeable difference. It will flick open easier and drop shut (slowly), still with no blade play. So, much better action overall and still very solid.

I'm really liking this knife. I get what people say about the ergonomics; it just fits so well in my hand. I thought my Sage 5 LW had awesome ergonomics; and it does, but mainly when choked up on the choil. With a "normal" grip on the Sage 5, it's not stellar, but it shines when using the forward choil.

But the Manix is a perfect fit either way. Whether using a normal grip or using the forward choil, it's just great. I also love the blade size and shape, as well as the finish. Maybe it's just the nature of BD1N, but it's got a cool bead-blasted or stonewashed-looking finish that I like. It's also razor sharp with a very pointy tip.

It's just great all around so far. I'll stop before this turns into some kind of review or something.

Thanks again all!

You've discovered what I believe is the real genius behind the Manix 2. It feels just as comfortable with or without the choil. It is one of the very few Spyderco's with a choil that you can say that about. I find I rarely need to use a choil for most cutting tasks and as much as I love Spyderco, I do not love being forced to use the choil for comfort.

I do pretty well with the Dragonfly 2 but not as natural as the Manix 2.

Update - Part II

I've had the LW for about a month now, and I still like it a lot. No complaints really. The action is still a bit stiff, but not too bad. I've broken down some boxes with it, comparing it with my other knives. It does the job as well as, or better than, most of my others; while having the best ergonomics. It's been my EDC since I got it. I've given it some swipes on my Sharpmaker, but it probably wasn't necessary as it's stayed very sharp.

So yeah well... that said, I had a little Christmas money and ended up ordering the G-10 version as well. :) I just got it two days ago (Saturday) and am carrying it now.

So far I think I like the additional weight and the texture (in-hand) of the G-10 a bit better than the LW version. My hands are very dry, and sometimes the LW version feels slippery (dry-slippery), mainly when engaging the lock. It's still doable, but it's a thing. I don't have this problem with the G-10 version.

The action on the G-10 is very smooth and snappy, and it actually drops shut pretty easily out of the box.

The additional weight is not really noticeable in my pocket. However, the grippier G-10 is noticeable and I can imagine it slowly wearing away at my pocket.

But overall - I think I like the G-10 version a little more, but not by a whole lot. I plan on keeping them both.

Thanks again for all the information & advice!

The additional weight is not really noticeable in my pocket. However, the grippier G-10 is noticeable and I can imagine it slowly wearing away at my pocket.

A couple of years too late but just in case you see this and have ruined any pockets over time.
I had the same issue with Griv-Ex Cold Steel knives, maybe worse.
The solution was to sand down the part under the clip, and a bit around it.
It's not particularly pretty, G-10 may be different, but it got the job done.

I have both g10 and the lightweight in bd1. People talk bad about the bd1 but I love it. Easy to get a razor sharp edge and maintain with a strop.

Back