Manix 2 Titanium Bearing Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father is a career machinist and he works with titanium daily. I was never really satisfied with the cheesy, molded plastic bearing saddles that come with the ball bearing locks on my Manix 2's, so I cracked one open, sent it north, and got this bad boy back a couple weeks later. The man is a wizard. Enjoy!

WP_20130408_013.jpg

WP_20130408_012.jpg

WP_20130408_011.jpg

In the above pic it looks like it's uneven, but it's just the angle. He nailed it.

WP_20130408_009.jpg

That's one seriously good looking cage! I've also always hated that little chunk of plastic. You should get your father to make a batch and put them up for sale here on BF

I'd love one in steel or titanium as well it'd be great. Looks amazing on your Manix!

Do you happen to have pics of the cage itself?

I will post pics of just the cage in a few minutes. I actually originally wanted brass, and I was going to put brass liners and a brass standoff in the back; but when I spoke with my father about it, he asked if I wanted titanium because that's all he works with anymore. I didn't want Stainless because it's almost never truly stainless. Rust sucks. Pics coming.

I thought about it, but I'm not sure what, if any, the legal requirements/patent laws are on this particular piece. I don't want to get sued by a good knife producer.

When a private person makes a part and sells it privately and not commercially, they can do whatever they want to.

Just don't engrave "Spyderco" on it.

Hm. Well, how much demand for something like this is there? Realistically? I see 4, maybe 5 hands raised.... I'd say if I got 20 or so votes I'd probably talk to him and see what he thought, but it'd be up to the old man, not me. He's the magician.

What do you guys, say?

I would for sure buy one. And I am sure you would sell plenty if you get the word out. Seems like everyone has a manix lying around!

When a private person makes a part and sells it privately and not commercially, they can do whatever they want to.

Just don't engrave "Spyderco" on it.

Not True. The Mechanism is likely patented. I would suggest contacting spyderco for proper permissions and/or consulting an attorney first.

As for the OP producing and selling these here?
This is a discussion forum.
The OP does not have the required craftsman membership to sell here.
There should be no discussion of production/sales in this forum.

Please take time to read the posted forum rules:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/faq.php
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=746&a=98

Not True. The Mechanism is likely patented. I would suggest contacting spyderco for proper permissions and/or consulting an attorney first.

As for the OP producing and selling these here?
This is a discussion forum.
The OP does not have the required craftsman membership to sell here.
There should be no discussion of production/sales in this forum.

Not true, I mean part 1 of your post.

Anyone can make any part for a friend, and sell it to them non commercially.
Though you got one thing correct, part 2 is true.

Not true, I mean part 1 of your post.

Anyone can make any part for a friend, and sell it to them non commercially.
Though you got one thing correct, part 2 is true.

And that little part in bold may just be the part where you are in error with there, Mr. lawyer.
One does not just sell someone elses patented design. To a friend or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back