Manix (G10) vs. PM2

BMCGear

Gold Member
So the obvious answer is both but which is your favorite? I have a PM2 but I'm wondering if I'm missing out with the Manix 2.

Well if you don't have one then you are missing out. The s110v has milled liners and is only slightly heavier while being a little more beefy. It is larger in pocket though width wise. CBBL is more difficult to operate especially at first but a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. It will take two fingers though however so be prepared for that. It is one heck of a knife though and you should definitely get one to at least see how you like it. You likely wont lose to much if you sell it after trying it out.

The PM2 is a great knife. It is one of the best knives ever made. However my only gripe about the PM2 is that it appears to have a very fragile tip. The Manix is also a great slicer and excellent knife, but it doesn't suffer from the weak tip issues.

The Manix is abit wide in the pocket though. As in the dimension between the spine of the blade and the back spacer, not thickness. The PM2 is much more svelte in this dimension. Ball Bearing lock is one of my all time favourite locks.

I would also tell you if you'd like to check out a Manix......definitely check out the blurple s110v version!
Amazing build on that knife!
Joe

I don't really care for the Manix. It's a very well designed and well built knife, but just wasn't for me. The width of it when closed and the extra weight were big factors. The one I tried was the Cruwear version, so it did have milled out liners.

I have 2 PM2's on the other hand, and I carry them regularly. I don't think the tip on the Manix is much more stout than the PM2. They are both pretty thin with the flat grind and full distal taper. That said, I've never broken a tip on any of my knives.

I hear lots of people complain about the tip on the Para 2 being fragile, but after carrying, and beating on, mine......all tips are intact! I only do knife stuff with them though.......no breaking up sidewalks!
Joe

Para 2 doesn't have a weak tip. I've done tons of stuff with mine and never had an issue. If you use your knife as a knife it's more than beefy enough.

For me, the Manix 2 is just too wide spine to edge. It is awful in the pocket because of this as well. I love Spydies but I dislike the pocket-hog models.

I actually just got in a Manix 2 FRN model in BD1. It's a cool knife.

While I like how much smaller the PM2 carries, I don't know that the width would be a problem for me. This model though is really light so that may affect it so far and one of the reasons I specifically asked about the G10 because it is heavier. While I like the ball bearing lock, I think I may like the compression lock that much more. Not sure yet, but we will see.

A deal breaker for me may be the weight of the standard Manix. I'm not really sure I want to go with 110V even if it does save weight, so the PM2 may be the way to go for me.

I had both PM2 and Manix 2 G10 both in S30V, as well as the M2 LW. I sold the G10 Manix because I liked the PM2 better and it was just too heavy. But the PM2 and Manix LW are 2 of my most carried knives. I like the Manix and size in pocket didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, given the width, but the weight of the G10 version made me stop carrying it. I'd probably get one again, but it will be a sprint or the blurple with milled liners that's lighter.

I have a PM2 and Manix 2 LW in S110V.
I prefer PM2 to Manix primarily because of the grind. The grind on Manix is too shallow, thereby leaving the edge very thick. Not a good slicer.
The compression lock is also easier to operate than the ball bearing lock for me.

Miso

These photos might answer the question. I have 5 Manix 2 models that I use- either as weekend work knives or as EDC knives, and I have 5 PM2 models that I use for EDC.

DSC_4457b_zpsmx4rint7.jpg

DSC_4455b_zpsmlfvx3ue.jpg

Manix G-10 FFG.

Wish they made em without the finger choil in the blade tho. The handle on that knife is perfect.

Gimme a blade fully sharpened to the handle, with a bit more taper like the PM2, and there's my grail spyderco.

Maybe in the future they'll offer a create your own knife option on their site, like Benchmade, but more options!

If anyone could do it, it would be Spyderco.

I could be happy with just a PM2 for the rest of my life.

I like the Manix G10 sprints too, but I actually carry the LW more often. I bought the S110V LW for the steel when they were first released. At first it felt very plasticy, but I now fully appreciate the light weight and wire clip and how easily it carries. I am surprised to admit that on some days I feel it's actually a better knife than the G10 version for casual EDC.

I could be happy with just a PM2 for the rest of my life.

I like the Manix G10 sprints too, but I actually carry the LW more often. I bought the S110V LW for the steel when they were first released. At first it felt very plasticy, but I now fully appreciate the light weight and wire clip and how easily it carries. I am surprised to admit that on some days I feel it's actually a better knife than the G10 version for casual EDC.

I have both manix 2 in cts xhp steel and I like the lightweight version the best. I would bet that they are very close in strength and durability.

Fantastic knives I have had both, still got para 2 . The things which To Me made me not carry manix 2 g10 version as much as para 2 , weight more, and not over keen on handle gimping, maybe I've done too much washing up and got soft hands, or it's my age:D, but prefer the para 2 , mind you new 2017 stretch 2 in frn, seems appealing, and the ATR,and the Chinook,and the -------. And I thought I had it under control? Roll on Christmas , Faron out.

I prefer Manix 2 over Paramilitary 2. Have 3 different PM2 and all have lock stick. Don't like the look of the knife when open.Handle is way too large for the blade. Manix looks much more balanced ( symmetric) with broad blade and handle slimmer on the end YMMV. Ergonomics are much better on Manix for my hand. Best of all. Especially S110V in G10. Like the colour, steel is great and skeletonize liners are light, CBBL is fun to use and strong, no stick. FRN is too plastic to my taste.

Back