Manix S110V blade broke from cutting PP board

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by shqxk, Sep 25, 2019.

1. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    This happened to IRL friend of mine. He use the knife to cut thru some PP board and the blade just broke without even applying much pressure...

I know S110V is brittle by nature so this properly cause from some defect issue.. maybe the HT? The grain seems to be kinda rough for powdered steel tho.

The owner live in Thailand and he asked me to post here. Would appreciate any suggestion about what he should do. Thanks

Here is the original post on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/574359772644721/permalink/2513430535404292/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DavidZ likes this.
  2. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I might be mistaken, but to me it looks like it was already cracked. The cardboard was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

3. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    WOW! Very surprising.

4. Shmackey

Shmackey Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2000
    W
    Why do you say that?

5. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    The discoloration along one side of the fracture.

6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Why ruin a good story with facts?

7. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Have you contacted spyderco? That would be my first recommendation.

8. Don M

Don M

Apr 30, 2000
    He needs to contact Spyderco. It is impossible to diagnose from a distance, particularly with suboptimal pictures. The forum members here and on FB can do nothing about it, and any speculation about the cause is just that.

9. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've seen several pics in the past yrs of Spyderco blades which snapped at the Spydie hole...
    Interesting...

10. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Owner lives in Thailand. What are the chances it is a fake? He'd have to send it to Spyderco either way.

11. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Never say never but I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a fake S110V Manix 2. I don't think I've even seen a fake Manix 2 that looks that close to the real ones.

I've seen Spyderco blades that break at that same spot but I find it hard to believe it broke just cutting that material. My guess is that there was a hairline crack in it beforehand

12. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Very common to have a crack from earlier bending side pressure, then finally gives up with more normal usage.
    The Spyder hole is a design we all enjoy however, it results in less material to resist bending and is the weakest area in the blade.

Regards,
    FK

sharp_edge likes this.
  13. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    ^This.

I've also seen other brands (e.g., ZT) of knives that had cracks on the blade near the thumstud. Anytime you drill a hole on as blade you are creating a weaker spot. For normal use and with not-so-brittle steels, these holes should not be a problem.