Manly Wasp 12C27

I’ve been looking for a knife more substantial than my SAK to take to Scotland on a walking tour in a few weeks. Not expecting any wilderness jaunts, but we’ll be trekking 8-15 miles a day through various kinds of country. Be Prepared, as they taught us in Scouts back in the Dark Ages of the 1950s when kids had knives and nobody thought twice about it. UK knife laws are pretty limiting, though: no locking knives – slipjoint only -- and blade length must be under 3”. Had in mind one of Spyderco’s Europe/UK-legal folders, but couldn’t locate one in Calgary. Then I came across a review here of the Manly Wasp with S90V steel. S90V is a kissing cousin to S110V, from what I read, both with superb edge-holding and also a b*tch to sharpen, speaking of my Military in S110V.

So I had a look at Manly’s Canadian website and lo, they were advertising a closeout sale, 20% off on the 2018 Wasp models. “Knife sold without warranty in AS-IS condition.” The S90 version was around $77, and the model in 12C27 was about $25 less! Worth the risk at roughly $52 Canadian, plus shipping. Done. Placed an order for one with orange G10 grips and 12C27 steel. A week later it showed up, the padded envelope slightly chewed on one corner, maybe by one of the sled dogs Canada Post uses to deliver the mail. At least it had arrived fairly promptly. For Canada, anyway.

Why 12C27 instead of S90V? OK, heresy, I know… but I wanted something easy to sharpen and 12C27 fits the bill. Pretty simple composition: Carbon 0.6, Chromium 13.5, Silicon 0.4, Manganese 0.4. Sandvik has been making steel since 1862, and 12C27 has been around at least since the 1960’s. The late Butch Winter (RIP 2004), who penned “The Steel Bin” column in Tactical Knives (RIP 2014) thought highly of 12C27. I saved his column, "12C27: A Steel That Gets No Respect" from a couple of decades ago. It is a fine-grained steel that, "properly heat-treated, is a steel to be reckoned with", Winter concluded. Sandvik says on its website, “12C27 is Sandvik's most well-rounded knife steel with excellent edge performance allowing razor sharpness, high hardness, exceptional toughness and good corrosion resistance. Continuous improvement over a period of 45 years has evolved it into the high performing steel grade it is today. The composition is tighter, the purity level is much higher and the fine carbide microstructure of today is far from how Sandvik 12C27 knife steel of the sixties looked. With a hardness range of 54-61 HRC, high toughness, scary sharpness and good corrosion resistance, Sandvik 12C27 is the recommended grade for hunting knives, pocket knives, camping knives, high-end chef's knives and tactical knives.”

The Wasp came in a nice little cardboard box along with two Allen wrenches (a thoughtful touch) and a hand-inscribed certificate with all the details, including the edge angle: 15 degrees. HRC 60/61, a tad higher than Opinel (57-59) and Mora (56-58) run their 12C27. Fit and finish: flawless. Flat grind blade, must have been done by CNC, perfectly centered. There was the tiniest burr, which disappeared with few whisks on a DMT ultra-fine. Wicked, hair-popping sharp.

It takes a deliberate pinch grip to open this knife; the spring is stout. I wouldn’t even try using the nail nick unless I had titanium fingernails. The four-position opening is unique in my experience, and adds a bit of safety as it’s less likely than traditional slipjoints to snap closed on your fingers. Right hand clip (not overly tight), tip up carry, my usual preference. You can switch it to the other side, using one of the Allen wrenches. The sheeple-friendly orange G-10 handle has a slight texture. It’s just tad smaller than a Spyderco Native 5 lightweight but a bit heavier (75 g. vs. 71 g.), very pocketable.

OK, out to the workshop, whittled a 2” diameter piece of seasoned pine down to shavings in about 10 minutes. Nice long strokes, cut through some small knots. Sliced a couple of grapefruit; it went through those effortlessly. Still hair pinging sharp. No dents, dings or shiny spots on that 15 degree edge. No complaints.

Conclusion: this is a stout little knife, extremely well designed and constructed. I’m not giving up on my other knives in S30V/S35VN/S110V, but I suspect the Manly Wasp will be finding its way into my pocket frequently. Sometimes simpler is better.

Great review I have one in S90V had it a couple of months now and have yet to sharpen it might be a challenge? It took me a little while to get used to the 4 step opening but now really like it I also took the clip off and pocket carry.

RB

Great review I have one in S90V had it a couple of months now and have yet to sharpen it might be a challenge? It took me a little while to get used to the 4 step opening but now really like it I also took the clip off and pocket carry.

RB
I finally bought a DMT DIA-SHARP ULTRA COARSE (220 grit) to hone my Military in S110V, followed by a DMT red (600 grit); the finished edge cuts like a chainsaw. Sandvik 12C27 takes a much finer edge; finishing on a DMT ultra-fine (green) works beautifully.

12c27 done properly is very good steel,will outperform many other knives with "BETTER" steels,because Manly does the heat treat very good,and most other companies do less than optimal ht,concentrating more on marketing of super steels that cost more than on real world performance

Thanks for the review. I have a Manly Comrade in D2, so I'm used to the 4-step open. I've been toying with picking up a Wasp. I've had good experiences with 12C27 but was still having a problem choosing the blade steel. You may have helped me decide.

Thanks for the review. I have a Manly Comrade in D2, so I'm used to the 4-step open. I've been toying with picking up a Wasp. I've had good experiences with 12C27 but was still having a problem choosing the blade steel. You may have helped me decide.
Manly's 12C27 is very impressive; it holds an edge way better than any of my knives in CM-154 (Emerson, Benchmade). Heck of lot easier to hone to a scary sharp edge than powder steels.

First I need to thank you for letting me know about the sale, fellow Albertan, and I got a Wasp of my own after your review!

No shame in ordering the 12c27! I have heard so much about the amazing amazing heat treat that manly does, and if they ever offer the one handed Peak model again, I would gladly buy it in 154cm or 12c27. So so so many companies have a low Rockwell 12c27, but a harder one can do amazing things, I wish I knew more companies that do a good hard heat treat.

From what I have heard, Opinel does theirs really soft, 55-56 and mora has theirs a bit harder, but still rather soft 56-58.
Sanrenmu does theirs around 56 based on the few I've seen online for testing.

Rant aside, I tried the s90v on mine because I have little to no super steels and wanted to give it a try ;) yet I find myself sort of wishing that I had gotten the simple 12c27 one...

Been looking at these for a while.

If you're out in the countryside in the UK, doing outdoor activities you will have no problems in lawfully carrying a fixed blade or locking folder. Keep the non locking EDC folder for town and city carry.

Please enjoy your stay in the UK.

Been looking at these for a while.

If you're out in the countryside in the UK, doing outdoor activities you will have no problems in lawfully carrying a fixed blade or locking folder. Keep the non locking EDC folder for town and city carry.

Please enjoy your stay in the UK.
Thanks! I plan on carrying the WASP for both town & countryside. Will keep my SAK handy too in case we are confronted by any stubborn corks:D.

Of course I see this when they are sold out. I am going to keep an eye out for these. In a world dominated by the drive for better and better super steels, a well heat treated simple alloy like 12C27 often works better for many uses.

Of course I see this when they are sold out. I am going to keep an eye out for these. In a world dominated by the drive for better and better super steels, a well heat treated simple alloy like 12C27 often works better for many uses.
:thumbsup:

Sounds great, have a great trip! I have "issues" sharpening both S90V and S110V unless I thin the edge out quite a bit. 12C27 should do well for you, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now that you let the cat out of the bag, you'd better post some pics of your knife up in the highlands, a trip I've wanted to make my whole life... Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Sounds great, have a great trip! I have "issues" sharpening both S90V and S110V unless I thin the edge out quite a bit. 12C27 should do well for you, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now that you let the cat out of the bag, you'd better post some pics of your knife up in the highlands, a trip I've wanted to make my whole life... Pics or it didn't happen! :D
I'll slice a haggis for the cause. I believe that goes well with single malt.

So far I have been enjoying my Orange Wasp in Sandvik since last summer. Got it because I did not want to try and sharpen high end steel. So far I have been impressed on how it holds an edge.

Hey guys I have 5 Manly knives in various configurations, love my 12c27.... but don't let s90v scare you it's an awesome steel not that difficult to sharpen,and you will need to sharpen less often ,keep up the great work Manly ,heck even their d2 is crazy good

I’ve been looking for a knife more substantial than my SAK to take to Scotland on a walking tour in a few weeks. Not expecting any wilderness jaunts, but we’ll be trekking 8-15 miles a day through various kinds of country. Be Prepared, as they taught us in Scouts back in the Dark Ages of the 1950s when kids had knives and nobody thought twice about it. UK knife laws are pretty limiting, though: no locking knives – slipjoint only -- and blade length must be under 3”. Had in mind one of Spyderco’s Europe/UK-legal folders, but couldn’t locate one in Calgary. Then I came across a review here of the Manly Wasp with S90V steel. S90V is a kissing cousin to S110V, from what I read, both with superb edge-holding and also a b*tch to sharpen, speaking of my Military in S110V.

So I had a look at Manly’s Canadian website and lo, they were advertising a closeout sale, 20% off on the 2018 Wasp models. “Knife sold without warranty in AS-IS condition.” The S90 version was around $77, and the model in 12C27 was about $25 less! Worth the risk at roughly $52 Canadian, plus shipping. Done. Placed an order for one with orange G10 grips and 12C27 steel. A week later it showed up, the padded envelope slightly chewed on one corner, maybe by one of the sled dogs Canada Post uses to deliver the mail. At least it had arrived fairly promptly. For Canada, anyway.

Why 12C27 instead of S90V? OK, heresy, I know… but I wanted something easy to sharpen and 12C27 fits the bill. Pretty simple composition: Carbon 0.6, Chromium 13.5, Silicon 0.4, Manganese 0.4. Sandvik has been making steel since 1862, and 12C27 has been around at least since the 1960’s. The late Butch Winter (RIP 2004), who penned “The Steel Bin” column in Tactical Knives (RIP 2014) thought highly of 12C27. I saved his column, "12C27: A Steel That Gets No Respect" from a couple of decades ago. It is a fine-grained steel that, "properly heat-treated, is a steel to be reckoned with", Winter concluded. Sandvik says on its website, “12C27 is Sandvik's most well-rounded knife steel with excellent edge performance allowing razor sharpness, high hardness, exceptional toughness and good corrosion resistance. Continuous improvement over a period of 45 years has evolved it into the high performing steel grade it is today. The composition is tighter, the purity level is much higher and the fine carbide microstructure of today is far from how Sandvik 12C27 knife steel of the sixties looked. With a hardness range of 54-61 HRC, high toughness, scary sharpness and good corrosion resistance, Sandvik 12C27 is the recommended grade for hunting knives, pocket knives, camping knives, high-end chef's knives and tactical knives.”

The Wasp came in a nice little cardboard box along with two Allen wrenches (a thoughtful touch) and a hand-inscribed certificate with all the details, including the edge angle: 15 degrees. HRC 60/61, a tad higher than Opinel (57-59) and Mora (56-58) run their 12C27. Fit and finish: flawless. Flat grind blade, must have been done by CNC, perfectly centered. There was the tiniest burr, which disappeared with few whisks on a DMT ultra-fine. Wicked, hair-popping sharp.

It takes a deliberate pinch grip to open this knife; the spring is stout. I wouldn’t even try using the nail nick unless I had titanium fingernails. The four-position opening is unique in my experience, and adds a bit of safety as it’s less likely than traditional slipjoints to snap closed on your fingers. Right hand clip (not overly tight), tip up carry, my usual preference. You can switch it to the other side, using one of the Allen wrenches. The sheeple-friendly orange G-10 handle has a slight texture. It’s just tad smaller than a Spyderco Native 5 lightweight but a bit heavier (75 g. vs. 71 g.), very pocketable.

OK, out to the workshop, whittled a 2” diameter piece of seasoned pine down to shavings in about 10 minutes. Nice long strokes, cut through some small knots. Sliced a couple of grapefruit; it went through those effortlessly. Still hair pinging sharp. No dents, dings or shiny spots on that 15 degree edge. No complaints.

Conclusion: this is a stout little knife, extremely well designed and constructed. I’m not giving up on my other knives in S30V/S35VN/S110V, but I suspect the Manly Wasp will be finding its way into my pocket frequently. Sometimes simpler is better.

I've got two of their knives, fixed blade and a folder. They are quite nice. Also had the privilege of filming in their factory.

Back