Mantra 3 vs Sliverax

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Would anyone who has both the Spyderco Mantra 3 and the Sliverax be so kind as to post some comparison pics of the two? I had a Sliverax, and loved it. It was absolutely perfect for me in every way except one: The handle was just not right for my long fingers, so it always felt like I had to take extra care to not drop the knife.

But the Mantra 3 seems to resolve that by having a Delica handle, which I believe would work very well for me based on my long since given away Matriarch 3.

Thanks!

I have them both and like them both, but neither are my favorites. Pics of them are widely available online.

The Sliverax is larger/heavier; the Mantra 3 is smaller/lighter. Both are flippers. The Silverax handle design is "unconventional"; the Mantra handle conventional. I prefer the Mantra because it is lighter and fits better in my smaller hand.

Which you prefer depends strictly on your particular likes/dislikes but, if you don't like the Silverax because of the handle size/shape, I'm not sure you'd like the Mantra3 any better. Only way to test this is to actually handle both. If you don't have a local dealer that stocks the Mantra, then the only way to do that is to order 1 from a dealer w/a liberal return policy and test it out for yourself.

Last edited:
Hi sgt1372. I know their specs, and have seen many pics of both of them separately after searching for images of "Spyderco Sliverax vs Mantra 3". Thank you for your opinion that the only way to determine how I would like it is to handle it. In my experience pictures of a known knife together with an unknown knife have been very helpful in that regard, especially as I do not have a local dealer, nor would I want to buy a knife only to return it and be out shipping. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

If anyone would kindly provide a pic or two of these two knives together, particularly so I can compare the handles, I'd be very grateful!

Sometimes, you just have to take a leap of faith. I received my Mantra 3 in the mail today. Despite being a smaller knife, this handle shape is much more inclined to stay in my hand than the Sliverax, especially when actuating the lock. And after half an hour of work on the blade, the knife is mercifully free from the unnecessary flipper and aesthetically questionable recurve. My very own compression lock gentleman's Delica! Sweet!

Spyderco%20Mantra%203,%20flipper%20delete,%20reprofiled.JPG

Apple seeds don't stand a chance!

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

I think I'll work on it some more and grind out the rest of that ricasso bump/corner.

Okay that's better!

And I can't seem to make up my mind between left and right hand carry and use. I prefer slicing apples left handed, but it's a right handed compression lock, and unlike the Sliverax, I can't do a "one handed lockback close" without the edge falling onto my left hand index finger, so I have to point the knife to the ground, and then disengage the lock, use some inertia to mover the blade tang off the lock bar, and then close the rest of the way. Always a compromise. I'm "left handed" but have learned to do many things right handed out of necessity, and I think I am better off for it. I'll try cutting my apple right handed on break today, and see how it goes.

IMG_4722.JPG
IMG_4723.JPG

I actually miss the Sliverax. But I am very happy with this little Delica, erm Mantra 3.

Incurable dislike of flippers as an opening method?

I know quite a few others have commented online about loving the Delica and Endura ergos once they remove the first handle point, and I agree wholeheartedly. It is more neutral, eliminates a hotspot on the middle finger, and provides plenty of point versatility. I think this is the most comfortable and useful handle shape for me yet in a medium edc blade, and I like it enough in my Mantra 3 (and my two Enduras and a Delica) that I will be trying it out in a fixed blade.

Mantra%203%20and%20Dragonfly%20ZDP.JPG

Back