Maratac AQC

Well, it's basically a Timex, so it's probably pretty decent. I don't have any firsthand experience with one, though, so YMMV. I know it comes with their Zulu strap which is top-notch. My experience with their other products has been great. I haven't really seen any quality issues or anything like that. :thumbup:

ETA: I found a video on CountyComm's site with a little demo of it. It looks pretty neat to me. :)

http://countycomm.com/compassmaratac.htm

[youtube]aUUYYWpMEe4[/youtube]

Last edited:

Absintheur

Banned
Just from seeing the video I would have to say that is a very thick watch. I would also say that a cheap baseplate map compass would be much more useful. This type of compass also gives you map measuring tools, declination tools, etc. In college I did a good bit of orienteering competitions and I tried several different types and always went back to the simple baseplate type. While in the military I continued to use this type in my duties as a Cav Scout. It worked fantastic while out in the desert at Ft Irwin having to navigate there.

yhst-68136650624333_2008_8902857

Just wondering whether or not that is a reputable company (Maratac, not Timex) and is the watch worth the 75 bucks.

Maratac is a reputable company. I personally wouldn't buy that watch because it's quartz, but that's only my opinion. You may find the fact it's quartz to be a plus.

If you just want a good, tough, reliable analog watch, I think it's hard to beat a Seiko diver. The SKX007, 011 or the Monster can be had for under $150 if you shop around.

This thread title is a tease fo sure! I have owned this watch for a little over a year and wear it all the time on my hikes, treks and travels. I also carry dress watches for dressier occassions. My fast review and links...
1) It's way better looking on your wrist and in person than in pictures. Obviously, it's a field watch and looks best in the field.
2) I LOVE the compass feature. I use it constantly on hikes for a fast direction and use it for fast direction in cars / boats when someone else is driving. I use the compass A LOT in my travels for various purposes. I scout locations for my shoots and need to note bearings for sunrise/sunset etc. in addition to keeping navigational bearings on target. The compass has to be calibrated for your location , has a declination offset adjustment and is as accurate as my stock Suunto & Silva baseplate models. It's not a Map reading compass.
3) The range of Maratac straps is growing and I own two, SAR orange and Gray. I'll be adding one of the new straps 'cause I don't care for the time it takes to use the regular straps.
NOTE: The nylon webbing straps need to be removed and washed regularly in the warm months as they pick up sweat and bacteria easily. Otherwise, I prefer nylon straps to any other kind in the field and in warm weather.
4) The crystal is a mineral crystal and scratches easily on concrete/masonry etc. I'll bet it will crack at some point. A Sapphire crystal replacement is worth while if you like this watch as much as I do mine.
5) The Maratac AQC is almost the same watch as the Timex Expedition
E-Compass but it has pins that will accommodate the Maratac straps , whereas the stock Timex Expedition
E-Compass uses regular straps.
6) Given a choice between excellent Lume and Timex Ingiglo, I'd go for Indiglo unless I'm planning to be stranded without batteries for more than 6 months ;). I always prefer Tritium unless I can't replace the watch in 12 years ;) LOL !
My links...
http://www.gearninja.com/Images/Orng_1.jpg
http://www.gearninja.com/Images/Torino_Tab.jpg
http://www.gearninja.com/Images/wthr.jpg

The Timex model (non- Maratac) is almost the exact same. If you can live with its leather band, then you can get it in a black dial. I got mine from Cabelas when it was on sale. Note that the band is a not a conventional strait end cut. It is tapered contoured when fitted into the lugs. Hard to find...

N.

www.dozierknives.com/forum

Absintheur

Banned
A quick hint for those nylon/cloth bands. Buy a couple of old fashion diaper safety pins and use them to pin the band to a pair of jeans and just throw them in the washer. Those pins are made to not come loose and when threaded though the pin holes in the bands sercurely attach them to a large article so they don't get lost in tha machine.

Sorry for the thread res, but was wondering if anyone had continued good experience with this watch, and possibly also a manual (for how to re-calibrate it)? Thanks!

zippofan

Gold Member
Have had one for years, and it keeps on tickin' away

timexaqc.jpg

As someone mentioned, the Timex analog compass models are the same, the manual for them will help you calibrate it. In the years I've had mine I've only had to calibrate twice, once when I got it and once when I mistakenly had it in my bag near a magnet.

Q&D calibration here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5931067_calibrate-timex-compass-watch.html

Very cool, thanks zippofan!
Has the compass function been pretty reliable?