• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Marble's Campcraft 2000 Carver

I stopped in at Blade Runner Knives in Tucson recently (a great knife shop!) and acquired for a very reasonable price a beautiful Marble’s Campcraft 2000 Carver with black micarta handle. (I tried to resist, but it was no use.) The finger guard is sculpted brass rather than the short flat piece on the usual Marble’s grips with the aluminum butt cap (this one has no cap). The grip is slim with a noticeable palm swell, tapers gracefully toward the butt, then flares again. It reminds me of Fisk’s bowies, slim and elegant. The blade is about 4.5" long, and .217" thick, with a short swedge. There is a gentle distall taper, not as extreme as on my CS Master Hunter (the current grind on the MH has more distall taper than they used to grind that blade; I had another which was thicker toward the tip). The blade is quite stout and handles splitting wood very well. It has plenty of belly and it should be an excellent skinner. The steel is 52100, cryogenically treated, which holds an edge better than anything in my experience. (I have a Marble’s Fieldcraft in the same steel.) The edge is convex and I’m going to keep it that way.
Marble’s says it was introduced in 1929 as the Model 60, and was adopted as the official knife of the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts of America in 1935. The current model has a longer choil (works well for choking up on the blade) and handle, and a longer blade than the original (4.25 vs. 3.5", although mine measures 4.5"). I was disappointed in the sheath, though. My Fieldcraft came with a one piece pouch type sheath of thick saddle leather, very nicely done. The sheath that came with the Carver was much thinner leather with a strap riveted on the back. I cut it apart and discovered that it didn’t even fit the blade! It was much too narrow and the belly of the blade was slicing into the welt. I made a new sheath out of some tough latigo leather I had lying around and threw the Marble’s one away. This is definitely a candidate for one of Normark’s Concealex sheaths.

[This message has been edited by Alberta Ed (edited 02-20-2001).]

Back