Marchand Madness

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Lorien, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

more pictures and stuff coming...

Dawkind, fonedork and WValtakis like this.
  2. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh, that ain't right. Tease.

3. bigfish

bigfish Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Ok, we waited long enough.

4. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Great maker

anxious to see more

5. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Are we there yet?

6. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    in this age of instant gratification, I think it's important to draw things out from time to time. What's the rush? Life is to be enjoyed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  7. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker - Buckeye Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    Lorien, You are being a very bad boy. :D

8. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I've seen video of the whole thing, and it is glorious:D

9. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    would you expect anything less of me? :)

WValtakis likes this.
  10. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm only liking posts with pictures in them. *pout*

11. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Whip it out!!

12. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Much more of a very similar looking piece was posted in another thread a day or two ago. Snooping through his posting history could be rewarding...

13. RogerP

RogerP

Feb 28, 2002
    This is going to be good.

14. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    So, this knife is something that I designed to be as compact as possible but capable of delivering powerful cuts and chops in a forest setting. Particularly with trail building, which I do both professionally and on my own time for my own sanity.

The khukuri form lends itself to this goal, so that's the shape this knife took. No need to recreate the wheel here, but it should be noted that only my experience using different khukuris informed the design, I didn't, (and don't) take tracings of knives and then put my spin on it.

I start with a blank sheet of paper and then erase as many lines as it takes to settle on the shape and form that I want. While the end result looks simple, the pursuit of it is pretty painstaking.

My favourite work is to design knives to the aesthetic or style of whomever I'm working with. Those of you familiar with Rick Marchand's work will hopefully recognize his style in the drawing below.

[​IMG]

I came up with this design shortly after receiving a very special knife from Rick, called PIG, (thread can be found here, broken photo links and all). We lovingly refer to this knife as Pulled Pork, because we are silly bastards

15. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    Good morning and happy Monday to you!

I took my little piggy out for a walk a couple of days ago, and put it to some light use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you might expect, it works well. The sheath in particular is excellent, easy to use one handed but super secure. It's quite low profile and doesn't add more material than necessary and carries high enough to stay inconspicuous for when I run into 'normal people'.

ArchVV, Box_Opener, Dawkind and 10 others like this.
  16. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Very nice @Lorien! In your design I can see where you plan the balance point and also some parameters that presumably describe the distal taper.
    How accurately, and to what extent do you worry about placing the balance point, given the added complexity of having in addition to distal taper, strongly varying width, and bevels to consider?

17. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Great looking !!!

18. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    love the sheath too :thumbsup:

Dawkind likes this.
  19. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment

Jan 12, 2005
    No one, but no one, does it the way Rick does it. Every detail NAILED.

Dawkind likes this.
  20. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    pretty sharp...

WValtakis, J D Wijbenga and Mongo like this.