Marfione, Strider, Or Both?

I'm looking to get a higher end knife. My two biggest choices right now are something Marfione or something Strider. I also really love the Marfione/Strider collab: the MSG 3. Any thoughts, opinions? I also love bodegas so tell me if that's a better option. Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Microtech if you want some of the best customer service in the business.

Strider if you want something different and unique.

I've had good luck with microtech customer service others not so much and they have a poor reputation. That being said micro tech knives are good cutters they are ground thin enough to cut great thick enough to be kind of tough.

Strider does have probably the best customer service you'll find , they're knives are thick and don't cut so well though.

I have a microtech/strider doc , it's pretty good I never carry it though ,Damm screw is loose and you haft to send it in just to get a screw tightened .

Personally I prefer protech to microtech and the options in the price of a strider are nearly limitless .

Strider for hard use .
Marifone for technical coolness.
I own both .
I carry a strider lately.
Like spartan said they aren't thin slicers even though the sng and pt are thin enough to slice ok .
Smf is a tank (my favorite ) even though I have been carrying the sng more lately (because I edc a strider fixed blade for the tank jobs ).

But I rotate . I edc a strider fixed blade on my left side iwb
and whatever kind of folder I need on the right leaving.my left pocket "open"
For work I take the smf
For everything else I take the sng (or pt)
When I'm going somewhere where people are the hardest thing I'm going to "cut" I take a zt 452 it's long slicey and stabby :) and light

I've never owned a Marfione, but proprietary hardware keeps me away from a lot of Microtechs. The few I've had have been awesome but didn't make me think "this knife will last forever and can do anything."

The Striders I have had, though... I don't know if I've owned a strider I wouldn't pit against any other "hard use" knife with some confidence. They take a beating and look good doing it.

Here's a well-used SMF, my picture:

zrUSVAJ.jpg

Now, I used to steer people away from Strider because they used to be relatively crap knives. Crap lockup, crap fit and finish, crap customer service. They're reasonably respectable these days, though, and have turned around in a way that I really wish Microtech would.

I wouldn't necessarily say that either brand represents good value, though. If you want a beater knife with ridiculous steel, get a Spyderco Farid K2 or a Cold Steel CTS-XHP AK-47 (or a 4MAX now that they've been released) or a Zero Tolerance 0804CF. All of those are excellent knives that will stand up to anything a folding knife should ever be subjected to, and you could get 1.5-2 for the price of a new Strider and 3 for the price of a Marfione piece. Just my two cents on the matter.

That said, you won't be poorly-served in quality or pride of ownership no matter what direction you go in.

Last edited:
Microtech makes some cool stuff but their hardware forces you to send it back for any issue and possibly never get it back.
There are plenty of bad threads on both of these makers, just do your homework. Most striders are thick and tough. Not the best slicers.
What is your price point and intended use?

^ good post Comeuppance.

I ment microtech not a marifone custom :) I do not own one of those lol

I would recommend a Hinderer XM-18 or CRK Lg Sebenza 21 over either as far as fancy pants "hard use" folders go.

Regarding "hard use" folding knives I really had some eye opening experiences this winter. I spent the winter guiding sea kayak and snorkeling tours on St. John in the USVI. About twice a week I found, opened and ate coconuts. At first I only used my big boys and one day I decided to use my Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight. Coconuts husks are really tough and the shell is as hard as any hardwood. I pretty much tried to break the knife and it really surprised me. I opened several more with the N5LW and it performed really well... Even with hard chopping/chipping away at the shells. Obviously a heavier knife is better however the toughness of a modern folder is surprising. I have since sold all of my Strider and Hinderer folders, my beloved CRKs sit on the shelf, and I find my pockets overtaken by fairly standard issue Spydercos. I would recommend a Military or Para 2 over almost any other folding knife. The F&F is gonna be equal to almost anything else, it will be a solid performer, and only sheer silliness would cause any problems. If you're stuck with Strider or Marfione I say Strider all the way... But definitely buy a pivot tool. JMO.

I, too, have been happily surprised by the native 5 LW. Fantastic knife, and I carry it more than my SMF.

I would recommend a Hinderer XM-18 or CRK Lg Sebenza 21 over either as far as fancy pants "hard use" folders go.

Regarding "hard use" folding knives I really had some eye opening experiences this winter. I spent the winter guiding sea kayak and snorkeling tours on St. John in the USVI. About twice a week I found, opened and ate coconuts. At first I only used my big boys and one day I decided to use my Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight. Coconuts husks are really tough and the shell is as hard as any hardwood. I pretty much tried to break the knife and it really surprised me. I opened several more with the N5LW and it performed really well... Even with hard chopping/chipping away at the shells. Obviously a heavier knife is better however the toughness of a modern folder is surprising. I have since sold all of my Strider and Hinderer folders, my beloved CRKs sit on the shelf, and I find my pockets overtaken by fairly standard issue Spydercos. I would recommend a Military or Para 2 over almost any other folding knife. The F&F is gonna be equal to almost anything else, it will be a solid performer, and only sheer silliness would cause any problems. If you're stuck with Strider or Marfione I say Strider all the way... But definitely buy a pivot tool. JMO.

This is exactly how my near decade long knife journey has gone... In the past 10 years I have owned well over 500 knives (hey back then when your single and have the income you can do things like that) however, after owning Striders, CRKs, Hinderers, customs, and hundreds of production folders. I realize I enjoy and don't need anything more than a Spyderco Delica, PM2, Endura, Native or Military. I have taken quite a liking and fascination with one knife that I wrote off for a ridiculous amount of time...The Spyderco Delica 4. It is everything I need in an EDC folder and I just love FRN.

Pic up the msg 3. You won't be disappointed. I just picked one up a week ago after a 2 year hiatus on knife collecting and it's become a favorite of mine, along with reigniting my love for knives again.

It has incredible flipping action with a strong detent, killer lockup, and works great as an Edc. A ton of knife for the dough.

Are you looking to buy a Marfione custom. I've got a Marfione/Strider MSG 3 (monkey edge frag) I'm looking to sell if you're interested. Just let me know if you are. I can send you some pics and give you a good deal on it. I've got 2. Just looking to sell one of them. Thanks.

Back