Market for Historically accurate tomahawks?

That looks great! You have probably seen the Wilde Weavery straps, but just in case you haven't click on "Straps" in the menu on the left. They look like the AM sheath strap.

http://www.wildeweavery.com/home.htm

Thanks,
Manny

Hi Manny, Since I made it for one of my throwers (which now has three sheaths )))) I'm thinking of doing the back as a belt loop with optional shoulder strap. Thanks for the link, I found it a year or so ago and lost it.
Thanks also for the picture of the AM scabbard, it's amazing that it still exists. I put both edge and bottom welts in this one so it didn't get damaged like the old one which looks like it doesn't have welts. It was fun to make it.

Best regards

Robin

I have found some wrought Iron. I may go ahead and pick up a few pieces and give it a go..I have been researching and there seems to be a division in the historically accurate hawk "market"..It seems that you have some that want it completely accurate and others who only care that it looks accurate..I suppose it that way in anything though..

I have found some wrought Iron. I may go ahead and pick up a few pieces and give it a go..I have been researching and there seems to be a division in the historically accurate hawk "market"..It seems that you have some that want it completely accurate and others who only care that it looks accurate..I suppose it that way in anything though..

Would love to see pics of your hawks.

Best regards

Robin

Here’s my RMJ Forge Patriot pipe hawk. I think it was traditionally made but I’m not positive of that. Either way, it may be my luckiest Ebay find…

RMJForgePatriotpipehawk2.jpg
RMJForgePatriotpipehawk9.jpg
RMJForgePatriotpipehawk91.jpg

RMJForgePatriotpipehawk.jpg
RMJForgePatriotpipehawk3.jpg

RMJPatriotpipehawk5.jpg

RMJPatriotpipehawk4.jpg

One and the same...or in this case you might say RMJ Colonial! :) Long before RMJ made tactical stuff Ryan Johnson was making the historical stuff under the name RMJ Forge.

Well damn, they should go back to the old stuff, I much prefer that beaut to any of the new stuff.

Here's a link showing traditional methods and materials Kentucky is discussing. The main body of the tomahawk, including bowl, were made of real wrought iron, not steel, the strap of iron was wrapped and partly forge welded, then the cutting edge was a small piece of steel forge welded between the bottom of the folded wrought. A huge amount of practice and skill involved. Not many people make them like this today because of the skill needed and real wrought iron is scarce.http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:MkngIPJtOuEJ:www.vividlight.com/articles/3705.htm+making+of+my+tomahawk&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thanks for the link Ducatimonster, amazing work, love the engraving, gotta try that someday soon. Thanks again.

Regards

Robin

RMJ's stuff is beautiful!! Plain and simple. His work is amazing and Im sure that hawk has dozens of hours tied up in it..

question: were all the old hawks pipes ? i would think your average , EDC hawk was a basic tool/weapon. probably not to purty. :confused:

Pipeman I dont have any wrought yet to make some but here are a couple of pics using one of the traditional methods..This hawk was made from cable damascus with a 1095 forge welded bit..The cable was welded into a flat bar first. Then it was wrapped around and forge welded into a basic hawk shape. Then the high carbon bit was inserted and forge welded in..Now of course you can see it dosnt have a bowl on it but the wrap and weld process is the same..Welding wrought is a bit more of a challenge since it has to be white hot to weld and the high carbon cant get near that hot or it will crumble..Same thing with welding high carbon to mild you have to heat the mild or wrought first the insert the bit just before welding..In my opinion making damascus billets is easy, high carbon sticks to itself like glue. I can set a billet of 1095 and 15n20 with a claw hammer.Real welding comes in when doing traditional blacksmith type welds like making axes, froes, etc..Thats just my opinion of course.
This haft was traditionally done..Stained with Aqua Fortis (what gunsmiths used on curly maple 200 years ago) hand rubbed with linseed oil and finised with wax..This we made for my dad as he likes a hawk without a poll..
Picture239-1.jpg

Picture237.jpg

question: were all the old hawks pipes ? i would think your average , EDC hawk was a basic tool/weapon. probably not to purty. :confused:

No, not all old hawks were pipehawks, but they were very popular even as EDC tools.

In my opinion, there were far more polled 'hawks in the frontier than we currently believe. They were the EDC weapon/tool of the period. We find more of the pipe 'hawks, I beleive, simply because they were taken better care of and kept close as keepsakes or as true smoking implements.

I would LOVE to see more authentic polled tomahawks available. Especially if they can be sold at something approaching a reasonable price.

Back