Mashed Cat Sheaths and Genius carry concepts

How is teklok not cutting it? I just ordered one from you today and you didn’t mention any issues.

I've carried knives with tech locks for well beyond a decade. It is a great solution. It is not the only solution, nor is it perfect for every knife.

Don't sweat it too much.

I've used them for both small and large knives. I'd much rather have my sheath come with one than not ( including my old mashed cat sheaths).

That being said. No cary/attachment system is perfect. They are a solution, not the only solution. They will continue to be a standard option for me.

But, I don't necessarily carry every knife the same as you, or anyone else would.

Last edited:
Dear Eric, some thoughts:

I’m very happy to see you asking this question. Although really I prefer leather, my functional needs usually have me choosing kydex, and you create my preferred kydex work.

First thing I do when I get a sheath with a Tek Lok is remove it and throw it in my Tek Lok pile, where it will likely sit with its brethren until after my death. I carry knives all the time for work use and never understood the Tek Loks.

Idea #1)
Bigger knives and smaller choppers I carry in pancake sheaths tucked in my waistband, usually cradled in my shirt so the knife doesn’t fall down inside my pants. It would be nice to have a ball stud (as commonly seen on leather sash carry sheaths) so I didn’t have to use my shirt to hold it up. This really seems to me to be the best, “cleanest,” most functional, most comfortable, actually usable carry method. Any reason why you couldn’t put a ball stud on kydex?

Idea #2)
Knives small enough to fit in my pocket, I carry in my pocket. Those leather pants pocket sheaths that fill the whole pocket work well. How about something like that in kydex?

I do carry your pancake sheaths (sans Tek Loks) in my pockets all the time and that works fine.

Big/heavy choppers (and any knives I don’t want quick access to) ride in a bag in my car or in a backpack. If they’re attached to the outside of my pack, they’re lashed on with paracord through the eyelets.

Whatever the sheath, if I’m actually gonna use it, it has to be comfortable and not feel weird or require bodily contortion to draw. It can’t be getting in my way as I move my body around: twisting, turning, bending over, chopping, etc. I gotta be able to sit in a car with it if it’s attached to me.

The horizontal Dozier sheaths for the CPK EDC’s are pretty good. They ride attached to a belt, but they’re small enough to mostly stay out of the way in that orientation. They facilitate a comfortable draw and they sure do hold the knife securely. I was worried at first that the kydex might be too thin to be durable but it hasn't been an issue (not that I've used the sheath that much). The sheath is uncomfortable to wear when I sit. The balance is not the best, but that doesn’t seem to get in the way of functionality. It’s good, but I prefer to carry my EDC in one of your pancake sheaths, in my pocket.

I like the belt clips made out of bent kydex more than Tek Loks. But I don't use them, either.

Those metal clips seem nice if they are implemented so the knife doesn’t get in the way. For example, if it’s clipped in my pocket, it has to be all the way in my pocket, not with the handle sticking out. Seems like they could work well for inside the waistband. Seems more cumbersome than the ball stud for that, though.

And overall: The simpler, the better. I don’t really need/want screws and moving parts on my sheaths.

There are many fabulous carry ideas and sheath designs out there that excel aesthetically or work in theory, but practically most are a pain in the tuckus to actually carry and work with. Most, for me, are uncomfortable, awkward, and/or get in the way.

Ball stud on a pancake FTW!

Thanks for your awesome work, Eric!

Mummert clips work great, Ulti clips are okay but I wish they were stainless. I put all my Tek Loks in a box simply to avoid throwing them out

Apparently I need to make friends with you guys!! I have several sheaths needing tech locks currently!!

Last edited:
Hey Eric, would you consider providing spacing for a mini Tek-Lok on your taco sheath for more comfortable horizontal cross draw carry? Grandsuave Grandsuave
I use them with 1.5” leather gun belt, and find them much more comfortable than the large for this type of carry.
Here’s some pics of one on a sheath, and knife I got from Phillip Patton. It’s a 4” blade Kwaiken, and it carries very comfortably and concealed.
t9KjAuT.jpg

bFrE19j.jpg

6CnF92t.jpg

reDb3kl.jpg

Last edited:
I think the TekLok is a great option for quick easy use for multiple carry positions. It works well for many knives and sheaths and is an all around good option for belt carry. Its not that the TekLok is no good, I would like to find other solutions for "skinning the cat". :)

That's the way to do it - have many different sheaths/holsters and ways to carry so that you'll have what you need when you need it. I have holsters that I have never used. But if the day comes that I need one, I have it.

Hey Eric, I put a Mummert clip on a couple of your sheath. They work very well for IWB carry. I also like the 1.5” DCC clips Bud has been using. They can be used for OWB, IWB, and ISP.
InOWt6A.jpg

rMP7hVu.jpg

EZnVeqU.jpg

tJA3U8x.jpg

Mummert also makes reverse, and slotted Ti clips that can be used with 1” hole spacing so it could be mounted higher up on the opposite side of your pancake sheath.
0dsOyEv.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Gus! I am really liking this set up...
0.jpg

I prefer belt knives to hug pretty close to my body and TekLok's not do that super well. I have been using soft loops from Raven Concealment Systems that have worked pretty well for me. It's not a perfect solution (it still carries higher than I like), but at least it is closer to the body. I'd love to see what you guys come up with.

IMG_0654.jpeg

Have you tried gcode type iwb clips?

They'd move the knife down 1/2" or more depending in how you set it up.

gca89_main_540x540.jpg

I prefer belt knives to hug pretty close to my body and TekLok's not do that super well. I have been using soft loops from Raven Concealment Systems that have worked pretty well for me. It's not a perfect solution (it still carries higher than I like), but at least it is closer to the body. I'd love to see what you guys come up with.

View attachment 1462600

038ABAD4-89AE-4C47-9E9B-1CF809A6DE18.jpeg
I used a small dropper and a Spyderco G clip on my FK2. I think the G clip is the best belt attachment going because I can take the knife on and off without undoing my pants or even loosening my belt.

Cutting firewood on a recent very cold morning my dropper caught on something getting out of my truck and snapped like an icicle. So I went through my sheath/pocket clip/ random knife parts drawer (we all have those, right?) and found the sheath mount for an Esee 4. It works nicely and I was able to drop the knife a bit low as I prefer to.

7EF8AC51-21B7-446B-972D-3D54849D9EEB.jpeg View attachment 1484076 View attachment 1484076

I posted this in the DEK1 thread, but I think it’s more appropriate for this thread. I recently placed a Mod W - HLR Discreet Carry 1.75” belt clip on my Mashed Cat sheath. This is the same one that Chad offered as an option with his Boot Dagger sheath. It carries lower than the Mummert clip because it can be mounted on the forward side of the DEK1 sheath with the 1” spacing. You don’t have to remove your belt, and it can be used for IWB, under the belt, OWB, and ISP.

DCC Clip
URovLXv.jpg

uxrexJQ.jpg

Mummert Clip
InOWt6A.jpg

rMP7hVu.jpg

Watching this for all the reasons!

I agree with Lorien that the hole spacing de-facto standardization is really really great.
Personally, I use mini Tech-Loks as I mostly carry small knives, and the full-size ones are silly large for that. However, the small ones have become very hard to find, and that has sent me searching for alternatives.
That Mummert looks interesting, I should give that a go. Tho I usually carry OWB at 4-o'clock.

Spacing for the minis is 1/4" holes at 0.5" c-t-c, for the full-size it's 0.75" c-t-c.
Lost of things fit both of those, especially if the clip-thing has one or more slotted holes.

Sagewood has a good implementation of drop-loop bolt-on accessories.

I agree with liking the DCC clips but wish they were stainless. The Mummerts are nice and have some great designs available but not quite grabby enough for pocket carry.

I also like the Spyderco style G-clips (in the same vein as a tech-lok but simpler and lower profile). I think Spyderco does resale orders on them. The Kiah attachments on Survive sheaths are also pretty good. I’ve also used a Bawidamann setup with a stiff piece of hypalon (?) going to a pull-the-dot snap. I like the concept but the implementation seems to end up a bit bulky and I have to take off my belt to undo the snap anyway.

Another good option (although it doesn’t allow for easy on/off) is the square with slightly inset sides. I’ve used this on Winkler and Chattanooga Leatherworks sheaths and it’s sturdy, slim, and can be used for vertical or scout carry.

Hey Everybody, Eric Lind at Mashed Cat Sheaths

I have been talking with Nathan about knife & sheath carry concepts and we both agree that the TekLok is not cutting it. I was hoping to get a plethora of input from all of you on ideas and concepts you have either used or have seen used. The product needs to be practical and robust and hold up to the EDC lifestyle. It would be great if it could be used on fold-over (taco) and pancake sheaths as well.

Any input would truly be appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric

PS: I'd also ask that nothing obviously proprietary to another sheath maker be used unless permissions were granted.
What about a taco sheath with pull the dot straps? Armatus sheath is designed around that and tek lok

Back