Master Knives?

I recently stumbled across a brand of knives I've never seen before. The brand name is Master Knives, and they appear to be of reasonably high quality, but are almost obscenely low priced. Has anyone tried a knife by this company? Are they worth the rather small price attached to them?

The homepage for Master Knives is <a href="http://www.masterknives.com">www.masterknives.com</a>

Ted Stewart

Wow !
Now they are KNOCKOFFS.
Dunno about the quality. but the attention to (someone else's) detail on the "SOCOMs" is incredible.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

My opinions are based on information available to me. Don't attack my opinions....give me more information.

Sheesh,
They look EXACTLY like the "Wungun" or "Fury" knives, or other knockoffs i've seen in catalogs. Do they all come from one place?

That is not the home page for Master Knives. It is a web site run by Alton James who used to work for me. He now lives in NJ and sells MasterKnives which are actually brought in by Double 8 trading. The trademark belongs to Double 8 and they are slighty pissed that AJ is using the mark. As far as the knives they are made in Taiwan and most are knock offs. The same factory is making my new line of Dragon Forge knives. They are very high quality for the price but the knock offs leave a bitter taste in most people mouths.

They have recently brought out some new original designs which appear to be pretty nice quality designs so look for more from them soon.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Mike what is the web site for Master Knives?

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

Is anyone on the web currently carrying your Dragon forge line of knives Mike? WOW is dealer sales only right? Marcus

I've just looked at the knives more carefully, and have realized that I've seen these items for cheaper prices (without the "Master" signiture) elsewhere. In fact, I think I might have owned one or two at some point (against the advice of my former knife "mentor"). However, I gave/sold them away.

There is no such company called Master Knives. It is just a trademark. To let the secret out Master Knives are made by Kantas in Taiwan and imported by Double 8 Trading. I will be importing a line from Kantas as well under the Dragon Forge label. Look for them real soon.

I will call AJ or email him so he can come here and explain the site he has.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

I took a look at the site and...wow...they're really close clones of the real thing. So much so, it's scary...and very inexpensive. The only question I'd have is to the quality of the knives. If anyone has one, I'd love to hear an assessment of the quality.

Are there any trademark/copyright issues involved with these knives?

Master Knives (AKA Double 8) has been very careful about copying others knives. For the most part they have not copied knives which have patents or they where careful to not copy the patented part, just the overall design. The quality is as scarry as the picture shows and I have carried products made by the comapny in the past and will do so in the future. I will be careful to not carry those which are copies as they actually have some pretty neet designs on their own. Check this months issue of Blade to see what will be a future Dragon Forge in the Kantas ad.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Mike,

Scary meaning reasonably high for the price, or not worthy of slicing celery? (I'm guessing the former, since you actually use a few of them, but one never know's, does one?)

Ted Stewart

Mike,

Scary meaning reasonably high for the price, or not worthy of slicing celery? (I'm guessing the former, since you actually use a few of them, but one never know's, does one?)

Ted Stewart

OK, OK. I OWN ONE. It's the BM CQC7 knockoff. I have always loved the knife. It opens very easily and very quickly, and was hair-poppin sharp right out of the box. Since it is a knockoff, the quality is a little less, but I am very happy with it nonetheless. My brother bought one, and he scratched up the handle somehow, then got it wet. Whatever coated the handle then proceeded to rust a little bit. But he's young and doen't take care of it very well.
I have seen the same knockoffs at ABC Direct under the Hi-Tech line. Bottom line: well worth the $15 you might pay for it.

I bought the Hawk at the Gator Cutlery Show outside Tampa 2 weeks ago.

The only marking in the blade was "Taiwan." It was an impulse buy. I've never owned a hawkbill. For only $15, I thought it would make a decent "rigging knife" to keep on my boat. Not that I needed an excuse!

I assumed that it is 44A or worse, but according to the web page it is 440C.

The quality is surprisingly good for the price. It opens one handed easily and the liner lock passed the AT Barr lock test. The blade is very sharp. The handle is a black plastic with a softer insert that is well made and comfortable

I'd rate it below Spyderco / Benchmade, but far above any other knock off that I've ever seen.

I still put it in the disposable category. It will not replace my very used Delica as my favorite boating carry knife.

Back