Master Knives?

I've seen Master knives at gun shows and on the internet. They look like many more expensive knives but are very cheap.Are they just rip-off pieces of crap?

They are complete rip-offs. No monies paid to the makers which had their designs stolen. Even though the makers did not have patents makes no difference it is still wrong.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

I agree 100%. Even if they were made as well as the originals (which they aren't by a long-shot) they'd still be garbage. Don't support this sort of thing with your purchasing dollar.

Even a well-made knock-off is still a terrible thing. Case in point: S&W now offers an auto that is a clear take-off on the BM 3500. It's probably a decent knife for a bit less than other autos (to judge by other S&W autos), but it greatly mars my impression of the S&W line. Where did they go astray?

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Master Knives is a nameplate for the Double 8 company, which also sells licensed Fred Carter designs under the name of Gigand. I picked up a Double 8 catalog at their booth at the Blade Show, and it looks like Fred Carter may be among the very few makers or companies whom they have not knocked off. Their catalog shows shapes that are recognizably Spydreco, Benchmade, Emerson, Cold Steel, SOG, Kabar, Hibben, etctera, etcetera, etcetera, including disposable PRC Sypdie lightweight lookalikes that sell for the price of one bottle of microbrew.
frown.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

From: Ivan 6-23-99 1025 Pm edt Guys I may have to disagree on one model of master knife. It looks like a BM stryker with aus8 STEEL. I know they are knockoff knives,but every knife dealer I know does admit that this model,at any rate, is very well made.A friend of mine, a big knife dealer, even carries on of these knives. In fact, it has passed the spline test with no problems. I wish I could say that about my Cuda, which failed such a test. Has anyone seen this Master knife I am talking about and ,if so, what is your reaction ? Ivan

I believe your reffering to the "SOCOM" rip-off. If not, I do know which one your talking about. They seem to be a nice bang for the buck. Though they are AUS 8. We carry these 2 types, but they don't sell very well. I don't agree with the ripping-off thing either, but it's just the look, not a special design or mechanism. -AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

When I was in Sarasota FL. Just after the Shot show, I went into a small gun shop looking to see if I could hunt up any Microtechs. When I asked the shop owner he said no but a friend of his was going to have knives made in India (I thought that odd) that would look just like MTs, same materials, you know the BS. I wonder if these were the POS's he was referring to.

By the way Sarasota has NO knife shops, but I was able to find a gun show that weekend, where I found a nice Splash LUDT, made me happy.
smile.gif

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

I have one - paid 20 for it - was going to send it to my brother who is a new LEO...
Desided not too.

blade showed rust after 1 week... sitting in the same drawer with other knives that showed nothing.

I dont recomend this knife to anyone. How ever - if your talented - take that blade out and put it in a new handle, new lock... and put a new finish on the blade...

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

From: Ivan 6-24-99 1156PM EDT I saw the picture of the Master Knife and it is not the knife I have described. Mine is like a BM Stryker type with spearpoint plan or half serrated blade. It is marked AUS8 and ,when adjusted , the blade flys out. It is heavier than my BM Stryker. I am impreesed with quality of this Knockoff Knife and since it is made in Taiwan that does not surprise me since quality of Taiwan SW knives and ,Cold Steel and Colubia River knives made in Taiwan, are excellent. Ivan

I know the one Ivan. They are nice for the money. My friend's little brother has one. -AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

Beware of Master/Double 8:

When you purchase a Master knife, you are supporting a company of liars, thieves and cheats.

By the way, Mike T. told me that ASP baton company was just awarded a 1.5 million dollar settlement for Double 8/Master copying their batons. Way to go ASP! Also after spending a pile of money on lawyers, Spyderco got a court ruling telling 88 to stop selling Spyderco copies. Regardless 88 continues to sell these copies.

I counted over 21 seperate name brand knife companies and custom makers (does not include seperate models, a much higher number) who's knives are directly copied by 88, and not a single penny goes to these companies for their design efforts. Not only do they rip off name brand knife designs they rip off their manufacturers as well. They had a Taiwan company copy the Benchmade Spike, didn't pay for tooling and then copied the same knife in China for 1/5 the price and cancelled their orders with the Taiwan maker.

Even if some of 88/Master knives are decent quality, don't buy them, you will be supporting the scum of the knife industry.

Also believe me 88 is selling a lot of knives and getting quite rich off of stealing your favorite name brand knife company designs. They are a thorn in side
of every name brand knife company, again I urge you don't support them. The original is always the best.

David
Well said! Some people can't seperate the diff between an inexpensive lower quality knife and a blatant rip-off.I'm glad to see the legal rulings in favor of the legitamate Co's now if they can collect there fines before the companies like Master close up shop and reopen under a different name and the whole cycle starts again.
Bob

Actually the 1.5 Million dollar suit was awarded against another company. Double 8 is still in litigation and that is why Henry was not at the blade show.

Double 8 seems to be trying to break the mold with the new Gigand line but only time will tell.

My legal battles with several comapnies all started because of my dealings with Double 8. I carry the Gigand line now and hope that things will get better.

My old employee, AJ (Alton James) now works for 88 and is trying to convince Henry and Daric that there are other ways to make money. The problem is the knock offs they make sell really damn well and the average dealer could care less which is sad.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

From: Ivan 6-25-99 1150PM EDT Boy, after hearing about all that litigation concerning the Master Knife people and their shenanigans, I dont think dealers should fool with these people who are damaging real knife companies. Mike Turber mentioned that some dealers are selling them and I can confirm that they sell real well at Gun Shows and at a price as low as $20,00 each. But I can see this is no good for the legitimate knife companies. THanks for the info. Ivan

Back