Matriarch and Lil matriarch

Hi all,

I was just looking through spyderco knives online and came across the matriarch. according to the description it seems to be primarily designed for self defense. I was just wondering if anyone edc's this particular model and if so, how does it do with just simple cutting tasks?

The tip on the Matriarch is really too extreme for an edc blade. The lil Matriarch, however, is another story altogether. It is much less thin at the tip and makes for a brilliant edc. One of my favorites. Here's mine (I have the BBS pe sprint) in use earlier this year. It was actually the perfect knife for the job.

[video=youtube;5yQivUhsBZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQivUhsBZA[/video]

Surfingringo,

Appreciate the video. Your instagram pics are awesome...I try to get down to Manuel Antonio as often as I can.

Not a Matriarch, but I had a friend that used a Civilian as an EDC utility blade. He was never big on following directions, but it seemed to work for him.

I wish they would do a regular production non-exclusive run of the PE Lil' Mat so more people might have access to this great little folder. Awesome alternative to the Delica!

I wish they would do a regular production non-exclusive run of the PE Lil' Mat so more people might have access to this great little folder. Awesome alternative to the Delica!

Yes, I do to. The biggest reason, IMHO, that this model never saw the sales that it could/should have is that it was marketed pretty much exclusively as a self defense blade. Given that it was pigeon holed in that genre, it is not surprising that many looking for a sd knife would overlook the more diminutive lil Matriarch in favor of its larger and more intimidating brother (or sister rather).

I had a chance to speak with one of the Spyderco gang last year at Blade and kind of hinted my opinion that this was a great edc model and questioned why they didn't at least mention that type of use in their marketing. I got an answer that to me was a bit evasive and unclear but the gist of it was "That is fine for a knife afi, but the general public is a bit less informed". I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe it means that for public image reasons they just don't want to market something that looks too much like an evisceration tool as an edc. More likely it has to do with tip strength and they are afraid of getting too many returns or complaints if and when ham fisted buyers break the tip. I don't find the tip all that delicate but it does require at least a modicum of discretion.

Anyway, this knife is a wonderful edc and I, at least, will continue to sing its praises to anyone who will listen. I hope that more folks will try this design discover how useful it is so we don't see it fall by the wayside like so many other great designs.

I really enjoy the SE version. It's a useful design, certainly not a one trick pony!

That style of blade to me seems to the the worst of both worlds. For defense, other than I think it's personally gruesome and barbaric, I would also question its effectiveness, especially versus well known fighting blade shapes like tanto, dagger, bowie, etc. It's far from ideal for EDC as well, so I see something like the Civilian or Matriarch and scratch my head.

I think a high end OTF or Balisong would also make a decent EDC, and there you go, multitasking. The Yo2 seems like it would be decent for self defense and EDC. My thought on those hawk bill blade knives is that you're just as likely to harm yourself as your opponent. I guess if you spent lots of time training, but why would you train to disembowel your opponent versus just dispatching them quickly? I wouldn't train to fight that way, even if it were effective, which I don't think it is. So, I just can't see it from an EDC or martial arts perspective.

I know it has its proponents for self defense, so, hey, whatever works. The genius of Sal is that for every person who says "WTF?" to one of his models, there are two more who say "Does it come in blurple?"

I know it has its proponents for self defense, so, hey, whatever works. The genius of Sal is that for every person who says "WTF?" to one of his models, there are two more who say "Does it come in blurple?"

Haha, agreed. That is sig line material.

Outdoornerd, speaking to your point about martial arts and training, I believe that both the Civilian and the Matriarch were designed with the idea of giving an untrained person a last ditch way to defend themselves which required no training. Just open the artificial claw and slash like an animal. Good or bad for that use, I have no real opinions...though I have to admit that were I a mugger, I would certainly rather target someone without a civilian than someone with one. Anyway, I just appreciate the lil Matriarch as a very useful edc but I suppose that will depend on what type of chores you normally do with a knife. Open a lot of packages and boxes? You should love the lil Matriarch. Chop lots of celery and apples? Maybe not so much. :)

That style of blade to me seems to the the worst of both worlds. For defense, other than I think it's personally gruesome and barbaric, I would also question its effectiveness, especially versus well known fighting blade shapes like tanto, dagger, bowie, etc. It's far from ideal for EDC as well, so I see something like the Civilian or Matriarch and scratch my head.

I think a high end OTF or Balisong would also make a decent EDC, and there you go, multitasking. The Yo2 seems like it would be decent for self defense and EDC. My thought on those hawk bill blade knives is that you're just as likely to harm yourself as your opponent. I guess if you spent lots of time training, but why would you train to disembowel your opponent versus just dispatching them quickly? I wouldn't train to fight that way, even if it were effective, which I don't think it is. So, I just can't see it from an EDC or martial arts perspective.

Give one a try before you judge - I mean for EDC, not disemboweling ;)
The Lil Matriarch is a reverse-S, not a hawkbill, which gives it useful belly as an EDC, and like Lance mentioned about the tip not being as fragile as the big Mat' and Civilian.
I remember from seeing other recent posts from you that you're a fan of the Delica over the Endura, so the Lil' Matriarch is a great companion or alternative to the Delica since it is in the same handle.
And believe me, I used to say similar things and scratch my head at these blades as well.
If they had one in H1 I'd probably pick up a Spyderedge version, too. :)

I almost bought the Lil Matriarch. I do agree that most of their models have to be held to be appreciated, and the Civilian does look like it might be good for rescue.

Does it come in blurple? ;)

Give one a try before you judge - I mean for EDC, not disemboweling ;)
The Lil Matriarch is a reverse-S, not a hawkbill, which gives it useful belly as an EDC, and like Lance mentioned about the tip not being as fragile as the big Mat' and Civilian.
I remember from seeing other recent posts from you that you're a fan of the Delica over the Endura, so the Lil' Matriarch is a great companion or alternative to the Delica since it is in the same handle.
And believe me, I used to say similar things and scratch my head at these blades as well.
If they had one in H1 I'd probably pick up a Spyderedge version, too. :)

+1 to an H1 lil matriarch!

After all the hoopla that has been said about these two models I still like my original VG-10 Matriarch model. I've been meaning to get a Lil Matriarch but it seems like there is always something coming up lately. But my dream knife in the Reverse S blade sector would be for Spyderco to make a Matriarch model with a thicker blade. Instead of the model being designed only for self defense I believe if they made it with a thicker blade ( especially on the tip area) it would make an excellent utility blade.

Reverse S blades provide a lot of advantages in different cutting jobs but I do believe that they could even go up to the next level with a thicker blade. To me a thicker blade would even enhance the SD aspects of the blade.

Back