matriarch availability

When you get to counting my preferences in order are:

Deep purple
Dark Grey
OD Green

Sal,

I may be on the way to becoming a Spyderco junkie. You are at least partially responsible.
wink.gif

I would like to see a navy blue zytel handle. It is an unobtrusive hue that is elegant, subtle, and functional.

If this particular knife is going to marketed in South Africa, why don't fourmites buy one from there? There are SA gun shops online. I assume that such places will be selling this particular knife. And surely there are enterprising SA knife enthusiasts who would be willing to re-sell to the US.

I'm interested in one too, and I don't even have the slightest idea what you guys are talking about. How is it you've all seen this knife but me? Is the Matriarch just the Martial re-named?

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Joe -- Here's Sal's first mention of it from the earlier "Civilian History" thread:

There is an "Endura" sized Civilian called the "Matriarch" scheduled for South African Exclusive at this time.

Later in the thread he mentioned it would have

'98 Endura handle with reversible clip. ATS-55 serrated blade.

Now, what color handle would you prefer?
smile.gif

------------------
--+Brian+--

That's what I love about you, Joe. You don't even know what it is, but you've got to have it.
smile.gif
Seek help, buddy.

Jack

Sigh.

The carrying of defensive weapons indicates a propensity towards violence to the same degree that the wearing of seatbelts indicates a desire to drive into brick walls.

So...you can forget selling me a "smaller Civilian". Make mine around 5.45", please? Failing that, stick two Civvies back to back.

You're a knifemaker, Sal, get over it.

Incidently: the *main* use the Matriarch is gonna get in SA is as an "anti grab tool" to support the proper primary weapon, a gun. In that role it makes EXCELLENT sense, you need something small and controllable to "fillet" the arm of some idiot trying to wrestle your gun away, even if his forearm is alongside your body.

Given SA's crime rates, NOT carrying a gun constitutes gross negligence towards your own safety and that of your family. As a prime defensive carry knife the Matriarch is pathetic, but in a "gun support role" it's near perfect...as soon as I figure out how to score CCW I'll look for something similar if it's not available in the US. Kershaw has a "Hawksbill" in that size range. I think this doctrine should allow you to sell these to LEOs and CCW holders "en mass".

Jim March

Unfortunately, Spyderco has to worry about lawsuits and all sorts of other BS. I'd rather be denied a knife than have Spyderco tied up in lawsuits.

If I can't explain to my brother that my knives are a collection (as opposed to an arsenal), I can only imagine that Spyderco will have difficulty explaining to a judge that certain knives are for collections and not throat-slitting.

It's always best to err on the side of caution...after all, McDonalds has been sued for having their coffee too hot.

-Dan

Brian: thanks! Black, grey, or blue seem like fine colors. I kinda like red also.

donovan: Shall I make a therapist appointment for two?
smile.gif

Joe

Dumb question, probably, but is there anywhere online where a person could see pictures of the Civilian and/or Matriarch models? Spyderco.com doesn't seem to have them in their normal lineup.

MaxQ,

Ironstone carries the civilian (?www.ironstone.com) and I think knifecenter as well or is that Northwest...

sing

MaxQ,

Use the forum search for "civilian" and you will see at least one picture. Not sure about Matriarch picture - haven't seen one yet.

Joe & donovan,

I understand group therapy can be effective. Sign me up.
wink.gif

Just an FYI~~
Ironstone's website is www.fe3stone.com
=)

------------------
A man doesn't automatically get my respect, he has to get down in the dirt and beg for it.

Sal
Would it be possible to post a picture of the prototype? I would want to see the overall design before commenting on color or handle combinations.Thanks
Bob

Maybe we should have a survey for the color?

Anyhow, I favor a darker, forest or kelly green, although dark grey does sound intriguing.

Hey, how about clear!?! That's a color idea....
biggrin.gif
It could be like those plastic models of humans that we bought as kids; "Come see the 'Living Spyderco'!"

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Sal,
As originator of this thread, my two cents...grey, bead blast titanium, or black aluminum with a la MT kraton inserts. This will be a very special piece and a limited edition, higher end edition would be very nice.

There are no photos and the only prototype is in South Africa. Imagine an Endura (new version) with a Civilian style blade, but smaller to fit the handle. A Forumite version has to be the same handle. Cannot tool up titan or aluminum or any other material without all of the expenses of creating a new model.

Spark - your going to handle this on the forum store? Pick a color and I'll run a batch for the "responsible forumite collectors that won't make me sorry".

By the way, with all of these forum specials, our normal Spyderco collectors (200) will get one so all numbers have to be 200 higher. eg; 500 blue G-10 Natives for Forumites will actually be 700 and first 200 go to our dedicated, loyal for many years collectors. Hope this doesn't create a problem.
sal

Back