Max The Mini Axe by TOPS Knives

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I have been studying various tools that could be used for modern survival...urban/suburban/wilderness... for years now. With my spending several years in the commercial construction industry I have had a lot of time to study and have always kept some interesting tools in my tool box. Now that I am growing older, doing more of other types of work and less construction...and still living in the same risk prone area... I am looking into lighter, more portable tools with an ability to be discrete but still durable and ones that bring a good bit of capability to the table.

One I have found that I like is Max the Mini Axe from TOPS knives.

DSC_3741.jpg

I like how it will tuck away nicely into a pocket on my pack.

DSC_3651.jpg

DSC_3653.jpg

It has on over-all length of just over 9 inches a primary cutting edge of 2.75 inches, a secondary cutting edge of 2 inches, made of 1/4" thick 1095 steel, and the handle allows for multiple grips and holds.

DSC_3710.jpg

DSC_3707.jpg

DSC_3705.jpg

DSC_3706.jpg

DSC_3742.jpg

The micarta handle held is just barely contoured. Enough for easy indexing but not enough to interfere with various grips. I like how the screws on this one are the flat ones.

DSC_3855.jpg

DSC_3999.jpg

Part 1 of 4

Since Autumn is here and I can once again stand being near a fire again fire-crafting tasks were the first tests I put it through. It is just a bit light because of its size, but its shape does lend itself to batoning wood and the 1/4 inch steel handles the abuse well.

DSC_3686.jpg

DSC_3689.jpg

DSC_3690.jpg

No, at only nine inches long with a cutting edge of less than 3 inches it is not the world's best chopping tool, but it does chop a lot better than anything else I have in those dimensions. It took about a minute to chop this notch.

DSC_3727.jpg

It also actually handles pretty good when choked up on. Though it is a bit awkward for making actual fuzz sticks the edge did fine at making nice thin curls for tinder.

DSC_3718.jpg

DSC_3673.jpg

DSC_3666.jpg

DSC_3676.jpg

DSC_3678.jpg

Part 2 of 4

The secondary edge is as sharp as the primary edge could come in handy for a lot of things. It does work well for sparking a firesteel.

DSC_3770.jpg

DSC_3771.jpg

DSC_3773.jpg

It did do some damage to the coating...naturally...but it makes a decent hammer in a pinch. I had no trouble driving 8 penny of 16 penny nails into this hard cedar post.

DSC_3745.jpg

DSC_3746.jpg

DSC_3748.jpg

The protrusion on the back could also work well breaking out glass or breaking through ice without damaging the primary edge. I think it would do ok at breaking through hollow concrete blocks too but I haven't tried that yet.

DSC_3743.jpg

part 3 of 4

Even after the chopping, whittling, and scraping tests the original edge still handles slicing meat just fine. This is good in that in a defensive role it would likely inflict good trauma. Also in a survival role preparing food so it can be cooked quicker using less fuel and be easily portioned among a few other people is a handy ability to have. A durable working edge is always a good thing.

DSC_4048.jpg

DSC_4050.jpg

DSC_4052.jpg

DSC_4055.jpg

All in all I think having it along and teamed up with the right combination of small tools one could have a lot of capabilities without hauling a lot of weight.

DSC_3996.jpg

great review mist, i love your clear pics & outdoor settings. a most versatile tool that had considerable thought to produce. thanks
dennis

I have wondered, in your threads you have so many different mostly out-of-the-box-new-looking TOPS knives and tools...do you really buy them yourself or do you get them free for testing and reviewing?

Sorry for the uncomfortable question :eek:

I have wondered, in your threads you have so many different mostly out-of-the-box-new-looking TOPS knives and tools...do you really buy them yourself or do you get them free for testing and reviewing?

Sorry for the uncomfortable question :eek:

Not uncomfortable at all. While I buy and trade for most of my knives I have never made it a secret that I do sometimes receive new and prototype knives for tests and eval. from several companies with the agreement that the ones I like and keep...and that live...will at some point get reviewed. As a survival skills writer and teacher, a photographer, a knife designer, and an aspiring knife maker it is a mutually beneficial thing. I get to test tools, edge geometries, and theories and they get photographic explanations of how the knife designs actually do in the field under stress. The ones I don't feel I could work with, think won't live through the testing scenario, or ones that just aren't my style get sent back.

I am continually testing gear, theories, and ideas. I show the results here in photographic posts in attempts at creating discussions and sharing information. I have bought enough knives now from different companies and talked with the officers of those companies enough times in emails and in person that they know my skills, my styles, and my likes. Sometimes they just want to see what I can do with a specific design. If I like it and it works I use it. If it lives through the testing scenarios I eventually compile those into an actual review here in the review section.

If you dig back through my older posts you'll see where I have told about knives I have been sent by various companies. You'll see knives I've bought, as well as knives I have designed and been sent prototypes of. Now I just don't bother "flagging" which ones were sent to me and which ones I bought because I treat them all the same, and beat the crap out of all of them...even expensive customs. If I am going to take it into the field and use it as a tool or to teach skills with I have to know how well it will hold up regardless of what I paid for it. I just make a point of studying knives before purchasing. I will however always say if it is my design because then there is obviously a bias on my part.

As a hatchet aficionado, from mini's to ones more properly referred to as an axe, and passed on this TOPS version because you simply get more bang for the buck from any number of other products. Suggested retail of around $180, with a decent door to door cost of $125, or thereabouts, is asking a lot for what you get.

As a hatchet aficionado, from mini's to ones more properly referred to as an axe, and passed on this TOPS version because you simply get more bang for the buck from any number of other products. Suggested retail of around $180, with a decent door to door cost of $125, or thereabouts, is asking a lot for what you get.

This statement doesn't take into account having gotten exactly what I wanted. It fills a specific niche perfectly for me. I never said chopping wood was a primary consideration...just that it was a consideration. I am quite sure having one made to fill this role would cost me more and would take a lot longer to accomplish.

Not uncomfortable at all. While I buy and trade for most of my knives I have never made it a secret that I do sometimes receive new and prototype knives for tests and eval. from several companies with the agreement that the ones I like and keep...and that live...will at some point get reviewed. As a survival skills writer and teacher, a photographer, a knife designer, and an aspiring knife maker it is a mutually beneficial thing. I get to test tools, edge geometries, and theories and they get photographic explanations of how the knife designs actually do in the field under stress. The ones I don't feel I could work with, think won't live through the testing scenario, or ones that just aren't my style get sent back.

I am continually testing gear, theories, and ideas. I show the results here in photographic posts in attempts at creating discussions and sharing information. I have bought enough knives now from different companies and talked with the officers of those companies enough times in emails and in person that they know my skills, my styles, and my likes. Sometimes they just want to see what I can do with a specific design. If I like it and it works I use it. If it lives through the testing scenarios I eventually compile those into an actual review here in the review section.

If you dig back through my older posts you'll see where I have told about knives I have been sent by various companies. You'll see knives I've bought, as well as knives I have designed and been sent prototypes of. Now I just don't bother "flagging" which ones were sent to me and which ones I bought because I treat them all the same, and beat the crap out of all of them...even expensive customs. If I am going to take it into the field and use it as a tool or to teach skills with I have to know how well it will hold up regardless of what I paid for it. I just make a point of studying knives before purchasing. I will however always say if it is my design because then there is obviously a bias on my part.

Were cool! :) You share tremendous amount of your results and knowledge here and I really appreciate it :thumbup:

That thing looks weird, but also very useful. I'd love to get one just to play with if I had the cash.

hey mist as one whom is'nt a great chopper [myself] does the ergonomics on this baby cause barked knuckles? thanks as always for the great review.
dennis

hey mist as one whom is'nt a great chopper [myself] does the ergonomics on this baby cause barked knuckles? thanks as always for the great review.
dennis

I haven't chopped anything big enough to bark my nucles on, and hope I don't have to. However if chopping wood was the primary concern for me I would look at a couple of other TOPS designs instead, some with longer handles.

Great review Mist. As I've said, it looks a bit weird and awkward, but after reading this I think I understand more of how this can be used. I hope I can test one of these out sometimes. Looks like it may be a great thing to have around the house work.

Back