1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Maxamet PM2 (Current Release)

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Blues, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Just rec'd the latest incarnation of the Maxamet PM2 in the mail and it doesn't disappoint.

Well ground, no warping that I can see, nicely centered and quite sharp. Drops shut after a drop or two of Super Lube.

This baby is a keeper. Looks like it will cut for days...

...and into the pocket it goes.

Hopefully others will be just as satisfied with theirs as I am with mine. :cool::thumbsup:

2. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I could never understand why they seemed to have no problem producing plenty of manix and native blades but never any PM2...if I had a limited quantity of the steel, I would make as many PM2s as I possibly could since I know I could sell every single one.

3. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    I'm really happy to see the Maxamet PM 2 back. I'm in no rush but I will be picking one up.

4. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Got mine today, too. With respect to action and detent, this is the best PM2 that I have received so far, and I have a few .... compliments to Spyderco.

Also, the blade seems to be color'ed slightly differently, more shiny, where the first incarnation looked almost stone-washed.

Blues likes this.
  5. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Could you please post a pic?

6. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Sure, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. No Maxamet in the office today.

bigolegator likes this.
  7. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I believe all Maxamet - Mule, Manix 2, Native 5 and PM2 was stonewashed. So is this new run isn't stonewashed that would be interesting.

8. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Pretty sure my Maxamet Mule is not satin/stonewashed. It's loaned out right now so I can't check. Cru-wear and couple of others I have are clearly a satin finish. I don't recall Maxamet looking similar to these.

9. Sharps

Sharps Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2001
    My Para 3 Maxamet is stonewahed, edges are not nearly as sharp as any of the satin finished I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AF likes this.
  10. Raymond3

Raymond3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2006
    IMG_5093.jpg IMG_5094.jpg

Mine is clean, centered, solid and the grind lines are even, but the edge is not very sharp.

11. Raymond3

Raymond3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Good Luck. I've been trying to buy a back up, as I don't like to sharpen and use one unless i have a second in the safe. No luck so far. Every time i get a notification, they are gone by the time i get to the site. Looking forward to testing and endurance results with this new batch.

12. grumpy514

grumpy514 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2011
    It seems like the places getting them in stock are only getting a handful because they seem to sell out within a half hour. I just just looking on ACK and came across a Para 3 I thought was a great price, then I got to the last picture..... holy smokes batman.

They even note its a factory second but damn, that's BAD. I was going to snag it anyway and warranty it...good thing I looked because Spyderco does not warranty factory second knives.

[​IMG]

marrenmiller likes this.
  13. knife_fan

knife_fan

May 1, 2012
    That's some serious blade warping.

Good to see more PM2s are coming out, Spyderco must of finally found a way to grind, and heat treat them, without risking blade warping.

14. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Wow, that's extreme. Temporary shortages notwithstanding, I think these will be widely available in the future.

15. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Here you go: middle is old, bottom is new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Since the difference is subtle, one more now in direct sun-light.

[​IMG]

17. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    That's what my mule looked like, too... Spyderco ended up giving me a refund because they couldn't replace it.

My Native 5 LW was warped, and my new Maxamet PM2 is not perfectly straight either (it's hard to see, but it's definitely crooked).

18. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Ok...thanks for posting :thumbsup:

19. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    I like the look of the new stonewash.

marrenmiller likes this.
  20. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    It looks good and somehow feels really good to the touch, too. Very impressed by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.