Maximus Otter - Congratulations on your retirement.

PPffffffheeeewww, man I feel like I've been holding my breath for a month. I decided to save my thousandth post for something special and have held back on commenting on all sorts of crucial issues like the benefits of Doc Martens boots, the merits of the Omega SMP and the joys of owning the rock solid new Spyderco Manix (nah nah nah you other Aussies - I reckon I'm the first).

But like a virgin waiting for his wedding night I've been saving my kilopost for the honourable Maximus Otter, who retires this week. Sorry to jump the gun slightly Max - I know it's probably not for another day or so yet. But I wanted to congratulate you before I take off away from my computer for a week.

So congratulations my friend, on an outstanding career and the commencement on a new stage in your lifes journey. I hope that life in Scotland is everything you wish for and mark me down for a soon to be priceless first run of Maximus custom knives.

I'll be cracking a Guiness in your honour tomorow night. As we say in West Oz - If I was a dog I'd be rootin ya leg. :D

Cheers,

Ming

Congratulations Maximus! Enjoy yourself, and will swim back over for your retirement party if time allows. Throw that pink feather duster in the garbage and live a little now. :D

I'd say a week in the Highlands drinking single malts is in his future. Congrats, I'd buy you one if we were on the same continent.

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
You have more than retired, you have survived the everyday dangers of being an LEO. You have done your job and you have done it well. Time to sit back and enjoy your life. Hopefully you have passed on enough knowledge to the younger LEOs in your department that they to will be able to retire.

My father was an LEO here in NJ and he had more than his fair share of close calls. On one occasion I remember the squad car pulling up to my house. It was scary. He was involved in a chase with a couple of drug dealers. He chased them East bound in the West bound lane on Rt.46. They went up the entrance ramp, turn around, and hit my father head on. Stunned, he was able to get out of the vehicle, unholster his .357, walk towards the vehicle, and lay across the hood of the car with his revolver pointed through the broken window of the vehicle at the face of the bad guys. In the aftermath it was discovered that he had busted up a $1 million drug buy in progress. I was proud of him yet scared at the same time because my dad was pretty banged up. I hoped then that he would live to see his retirement because some don't. In his 27 years on the job he was awarded numerous medals and given "LEO of the Year" twice in 5 years. When he announced his retirement in 1997 I was so glad. My dad reached a milestone in his life. He more than did his job, he survived.

Back to the point. Retirement should be more than just saying your done with the job. It should be considered a badge of honor for a job well done. I applaude you on you retirement. It is well deserved. You survived. Be proud. Be happy.

Again, congrats! :)

Congratulations, and may a great deal of 30 year-old Laphroaig be in your future.

That first Sunday evening when it dawns on you that you don't have do get up and go to work the next day is especially sweet. Congratulations.

Congratulations to both of you!
Thank you Max for your many years on the front lines. You and your fellow LEOs make a difference. Those who feel otherwise...well we know who the BGs are.
Ming...well...um...thank you for your 1000 posts of which I have thankfully been exposed to only a few dozen, if that.

Congratulations! Now that you're retired, maybe you'll have more time to travel. If you ever get down to my part of Italy, give me a yell. Drinks are on me!

Quite the accomplishment. . . .spending many years of faithful and dedicated service in a very honorable profession !

Very cool ! Be proud !

Congrat's Otter

Good on you Mr. Otter! Relax and enjoy your downtime! :D Now let's see if MRS OTTER is just as pleased to have you around more a month from now! :p :D

Congrats dude! :cool:
Now it's time to kick back, relax, and enjoy the finer things in life....or at least enjoy them more than before. :D
Best of luck to you.

Paul

Congratulations, I retired a couple of years ago and the secret is having something to be enthusiastic about when you wake up.

LEO, an Honorable Profession, I've had several family members on the job, some made it, some didn't, that's the nature of the job.

Congrats on being a survivor, my Brother in Law made it, :) now he lives in VT, rides his Yamaha, skis and tries to live as normal as a life as ever :rolleyes: , but no matter what he's still on the job. :D :cool:

Bastid

Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder.
Staff member
Super Mod
Cheers and congratulations Max! :)

Congratulations from our corner of the world too, Max. Think of your well-wishers at Bladeforums when you're drinking a celebratory scotch.

James

Congratulations, Maximus! Your service has not gone unappreciated, now you can spend more time with us :p

I'm stunned!

I was actually so shocked to see my name in a thread title that I felt faint! How macho a bobby am I?

It's still a little early (I've got 'til next Friday), but thank you all very much for your good wishes. I've met many people here who I am proud to think of as friends, though regrettably most of us will never meet face to face. You are all very high in my esteem.

Ming,

A special thanks to you, mate. If I'm ever in west Oz, the beer's on me.

As the Cowardly Lion said after receiving his medals of courage from the Wizard of Oz, "Aw shucks, folks, I'm speechless."

maximus otter