Maxpedition Remora modification

Last Visible Canary

actively parsing hurf durf
Wearing the remora over the shoulder is really akward feeling, it's like putting on a purse where you attach one strap at the center, it just doesn't make sense to me. I bought this so I could wear it as a drop leg, but with the long strip of fabric leading away from the bag it hangs down at knee level, way to low to be comfortable. Theres no easy way to make it work from the factory.

So, I cut off the top leaving only the very first line of webbing to attach a drop leg velcro strap to. Now, it can be worn comfortably as a drop leg, and by attaching a shoulder strap to the top to d-rings it actually rides level on the back instead of one corner pushing in harder. I ordered a foliage colored 1.5" strap thinking it would be alright, but I'm really not liking it. I ordered a black one last night. I like the 1.5" way more for this bag then the 2"

zP1030063.jpg

The other benefit, when you take off the drop leg strap and put it in the front slip cover, it doesn't take up much room at all in the tucked in position.
zP1030064.jpg

zP1030062.jpg

I don't know how often you attach/ remove the drop leg, but a lot of competitive 3gun shooters add a large quick release buckle to the strap. If they don't need the rifle mags for that stage all that is on their belt is half the buckle. regards Les

The Thermite model would have been a better choice for you I think, and would have cost less.

me thinks the thermite doesn't have the capacity that the OP is needing (i got the thermite, it's small)...

it's very brave to do such a major mod on that remora; but if that's what works for your purposes, go for it...and i bet it does hang better on 1 shoulder now; gearslingers are worthless carrying on one (same side) shoulder...

i did a major mod on a devildog (cut off the straps for waist carry, which for all intent and purpose was ineffective and worthless bulk)...that made a world of difference in how the bag carried on my shoulder, and the result is it's now my edc bag and will be for a long time...

me thinks the thermite doesn't have the capacity that the OP is needing (i got the thermite, it's small)...

it's very brave to do such a major mod on that remora; but if that's what works for your purposes, go for it...and i bet it does hang better on 1 shoulder now; gearslingers are worthless carrying on one (same side) shoulder...

i did a major mod on a devildog (cut off the straps for waist carry, which for all intent and purpose was ineffective and worthless bulk)...that made a world of difference in how the bag carried on my shoulder, and the result is it's now my edc bag and will be for a long time...

The thermite is a bit too small and it's not a drop leg from a single point, it has to be worn from the second belt. I'm moving to this from a 6x9 padded with the same vecro belt strap, and it was full to the brim. right now I could fit a wee bit more stuff into this, but not much. I like the slanting top that opens up wider on this as well.

I had a pockitz organizer that worked well, but I found that I didn't like having the second belt over my normal belt. I carry a fixed blade and a lot of stuff in my pockets and it just made everything a little harder to get at

The center to corner carry on this wasn't just awkward to me in a single shoulder position, it was weird in the position it was intended. It felt like one corner was dangling (which is the design) and since I like to carrying things going over my right shoulder when I pull it around it was open to my left hand (I'm right handed). In generally I'm not real keen on the gearslinger set up, I understand it it's just weird for me and how I like to wear stuff.

I don't know how often you attach/ remove the drop leg, but a lot of competitive 3gun shooters add a large quick release buckle to the strap. If they don't need the rifle mags for that stage all that is on their belt is half the buckle. regards Les

With how large this bag is, I'd have to sew in a buckle attachment point lower on the bags back to be able to wear it comfortably. Any lower than where it's at attaching straight to the first horizontal webbing in hehind the handle and the bottom starts dropping below knee level. I would much prefer having a quickly release buckle so I could just put on the belt latch in the morning whether I was wearing the bag or not, but it would be difficult to manage withing heavy modification.

(more on remora vs. thermite set up)
The reason why I wanted to be able to use this in a single point drop leg set up is for when I'm wearing another backpack. If I'm going to school and I want to bring this with me (it has my sunglasses and camera) even when I leave my backpack in the car, it's nice to not have to detach it from the primary backpack, and its nice to not have a bag over bag set up when carrying both.

There are very few large pouch single point drop leg bags out there, most of them are smaller medic bags that can't hold as much stuff as I have in this, let alone expand outward (attaching a water bottle holder etc). The remora's core bag is awesome, I love the set up front to back, I just really wanted that carry method.

Last edited:
i also have a malaga which i use when i need more capacity...it has to be carried cross shoulder and i like it WHEN I HAVE TO WALK WITH THE BAG A DISTANCE...single shoulder, no way because mostly i'm just moving the bag a short distance and i don't like throwing the strap over the head all the time, so same shoulder carry is primary and needed...there no way i could cut the malaga; i'll just use/buy an appropriate bag...

...gearslinger style is either like it or hate it...most women hate it...

I like the concept, as you say it's just a little limiting.

It's actually not that stuffed, the stiffness of the bag just makes it feel like it is. glasses, sharpening stones, camera pouch: beneath that is a mini pouch with 2 extra batteries and an extra card. in the slip pocket is a set of 2 123a batteries, and 2 aa batteries.
P1030067.jpg

surefire g2, maratac aa led, countycomm led, cpr face sheild, mini-first aid roll.
P1030066.jpg

This is the single point drop point set up I was looking for. I may have to reinforce the loop if it starts sagging over time, but you can see that if I added the additional length to get the release buckle it would drop down to knee level. (I'd remove the shoulder strap for this carry :p ) I've looked pretty extensively for a bag of this dimension that can be carried like this, and they basically don't exist :(
P1030069.jpg

I love the bag, like this I can wear it with my condor2 comfortably. It's side and pocket set up is great, I like the molle positioning. I kinda wish the drag handle had the rubberization instead of foam padding, but I like that it has a handle at all. I LOVE the 4 corner d-ring set up. in general it's a great bag.

I like the concept, as you say it's just a little limiting.

It's actually not that stuffed, the stiffness of the bag just makes it feel like it is. glasses, sharpening stones, camera pouch: beneath that is a mini pouch with 2 extra batteries and an extra card. in the slip pocket is a set of 2 123a batteries, and 2 aa batteries.
P1030067.jpg

surefire g2, maratac aa led, countycomm led, cpr face sheild, mini-first aid roll.
P1030066.jpg

This is the single point drop point set up I was looking for. I may have to reinforce the loop if it starts sagging over time, but you can see that if I added the additional length to get the release buckle it would drop down to knee level. (I'd remove the shoulder strap for this carry :p ) I've looked pretty extensively for a bag of this dimension that can be carried like this, and they basically don't exist :(
P1030069.jpg

I love the bag, like this I can wear it with my condor2 comfortably. It's side and pocket set up is great, I like the molle positioning. I kinda wish the drag handle had the rubberization instead of foam padding, but I like that it has a handle at all. I LOVE the 4 corner d-ring set up. in general it's a great bag.

that looks uncomfortable and awkward. i am starting not to like my maxipedtion jumbo. tempted to sell it.. its hard to beat a good ole fashioned back pack

for me it's a lot more comfortable then using it the way it was intended. in this position I can get in and out of my car without putting a seat belt over the bag, I can wear a backpack, sweatshirt, or jacket without having the strap restricting movement/bunching up fabric, and it takes up much less space when tucked in (the bigger the object in the cc slot, the more it bulges into the main compartment). A modification like this (and this mode of carry) certainly isn't for everyone. I wish it was more popular so I could have more choices in stock bags :(

Something like this:
http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/packsbags/212-jax-pax-packs-bug-out-belt
jaxpax-001.jpg

would be way more uncomfortable. I hate wearing a second belt over my normal belt, it makes it so I can't get to anything.

Last edited:
I really like the Gearslingers. The Remora is my favorite for EDC. I have to carry a laptop daily, though, so I usually carry the Malaga. My laptop *just* fits in it. I find the pockets and their orientation the Malaga not as useful for the (non-laptop) stuff I like to carry compared to the Remora.

The centered strap on the Remora doesn't bother me at all. I understand what you're talking about but it doesn't bother me one bit. I like that i can swap shoulders. When I wear a one-sided pack for months I find it effects my posture so I like to swap it every few months to keep things level.

To be honest I'm seriously thinking of cutting off the straps on my sabercat and proteus. They are both great toolbags, but the waist straps eat up space like crazy, especially with the sabercat. Honestly, I will probably never even consider carrying them as fanny packs just because i don't wear fanny packs. But, I'm totally down with putting shoulder straps on the sabercat or attaching either one to larger packs. It doesn't seem like it would be a hard mod either, turn the bags inside out, take the stitching off the seam cover and remove the straps ,then sew the seem back and it'll be like it was made from the factory like that (except with different colored stitching [black])

yet, I'm hesitant to mod them because for me, I don't want to sell something like that once I've modded it.

at this point, it would be fair to say "why don't you get a lunada?"; mostly I don't like the gearslinger strap and I don't need the 12" tall main compartment. It's really awesome to have the pockets split becasue I don't carry anything longer than 6", so having a 12" tall main compartment would = 6" of dead space.

I've added a mini rolypolly for a water bottle and a four-by-six pouch for a notepad and writing instruments. It's actually kind of nice, the four-by-six is held on by the shock cord, woven in an x pattern through the pals. It keeps it plenty tight and secure, but it also lets it move up just a bit to give better access to the bottom pouch.
zP1030332.jpg

zP1030341.jpg

3.5x4.5 notepad, box cutter, straight widgy bar, lighter, mechanical pencil, pen, permanent marker and a countycomm tube w/sewing kit
zP1030333.jpg

contents of the sewing kit:
zP1030334.jpg

Last edited:
Back