Maxpedition Sabercat Question

So i was thinking of a way I could increase my load for trips that my fiancee and I are planning to go on this summer. I carry a Maxpedition Condor II and it suits me fine,but with the two of us I will need to bring a little more gear and food along than I usually do.

My idea was to pick up a Sabercat and hook it up with some suspenders or shoulder straps of some kind and wear them under my back pack. The Condor II rides high on my back so i think it should be possible but I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with something like this.

0426K_7_detail.jpg

Yeah, I used a pair of High Speed Gear Inc. (HSGI) suspenders and used it as a low mounted pack...works pretty good. Unfortunately Guyot/Nalgene discontinued their 24 oz stainless bottles as they fit perfectly in the Sabercat's side pockets.

ROCK6

Have you thought of upgrading to a bigger pack??? i cant imagine the condor being comfortable with a heavy load out much less with an aditional bags weight. For not much more than the cost of the sabercat you could get a pack with a real suspension harness. for inztance put some pouches on a camelbak tri-zip.

I mean if it floats your boat then go for it and ive seen i done with the military waist pack so i can only assume that it will work with the sabrecat as well, its just after about 30lbs on my back i want a real suspension system.

Also why not get the fiancee a pack and have her carry her stuff?

thanks for the input guys.

Rock6...I looked at those suspenders they seem to be pretty nice. Did the Sabercat ride low enough to wear a normal assault pack sized bag at the same time?

Razorsdescent...she has a pack, but she doesn't enjoy going camping the same way I do. In order for her to have a good time she likes to have more gear. I don't carry more than 30 LBS in the condor II. The problem is that in order for her to enjoy the trip, which is essential to me being able to enjoy the trip, the extra gear would be too heavy for her, and tends to end up with me.

I actually tried to make her carry all of the stuff she wanted to have along, and it was miserable. I was perfectly happy with the cloths on my back, the gear in my pockets, a tarp, wool blanket, some oatmeal, and my cook set consisting of a guyote design water bottle and a cup that it slides into. I had her carry everything else she thought she would need. I tried to argue that she wouldn't even use most of it, but to no avail. It ended up with me having things strapped all over my bag, making for an awkward and heavy walk.

when i started thinking about doing this idea, I was considering how much stuff i ended up carrying that trip, and a bag about the size of the Sabercat seemed like it would be just right. The idea being that I can put the extra stuff in it if the need arises. I haven't told her this yet, but the purpose behind these trips is to slowly get her accustomed to not needing a bag larger than the Condor II or Sabercat. I am slowly going to teach her to be comfortable outside without bringing the kitchen sink along for the ride. Having two separate packs appeals to me because I hope that down the road I can just let her have one of them, but until then I can utilize my already established setup and just add the extra while its needed.

but yes i do agree that having more than 30 LBS is kind of a pain. I am just hoping it wont be a permanent one.

Well i can understand that my freind, girls can be a pain. I also see yur point, i carry a maxped monsoon and mostly it carries water for me.a hammock a few blades and some fire starters, im a fan of ultralight during the summer months. me and my best friend do a fusion hipie/tactical thing low impact and quiet with earth tones using military style gear and carrying firearms makes for an interesting experience

quite frankly i refuse to take my girl unless she plays by me ad my best friends rules. we caryr our own gear and we go where we want. i dont know what you relationship is like but if she doesnt enjoy the outdoors it will only drag on you and she wont have any incentive to get accostumed. maybe you would be wiser to work on increments of duration rather than amount of gear. just a thought.

we have been ok on the duration so far. we have ranged from overnight to 4 days / 3 nights. I am a luck guy...she loves the outdoors as much as I do, only she has not been exposed to much camping other than family style car camping. She keeps the complaints to a minimum, but as with anyone you are close with it becomes very apparent when they aren't having a good time. She has started to pick up the bushcraft basics (started her first traditional flint and steel fire on our last trip) and is starting to get comfortable with both the tool and skills that she will need to get over her reliance on gear. I dont want to force her to do anyhting she doesnt want to go along with...i jsut dont wsant to carry all the extra stuff. I am more than happy to cary my gear, the food, and shelter but i don't like having to haul her gear as well. I think our trips this summer will be jsut the thing. She feels the need to have as much stuff as she can possibly cram into both her bag and mine. We never even use most of the stuff. My plan is to pay attention to the items she actually uses and slowly over time remove those she doesn't, and just not mention the fact that the gear is disapearing as the trips progress. My money is on her not even noticing....assuming i dont screw up and leave something important :/

thanks for the input guys.

Rock6...I looked at those suspenders they seem to be pretty nice. Did the Sabercat ride low enough to wear a normal assault pack sized bag at the same time?

Yeah it will; the suspenders are pretty far-ranging and much like the older "load-bearing-equipment" harness, you can loosen up to have them ride pretty low. It's usually not too uncomfortable and you need to make sure the one with the most weight is using the waist belt to distribute the weight on the hips.

ROCK6

Last edited:
Yeah it will; the suspenders are pretty far-ranging and much like the older "load-bearing-equipment" harness, you can loosen up to have them ride pretty low. It's usually not too uncomfortable and you need to make sure the one with the most weight is using the waist belt to distribute the weight on the hips.

ROCK6

Can you post a pic of the suspenders attached to the Saber Cat? What attachment points on the SC are you using?

from what i can tell these are the suspenders...Rock6 might have a better picture and info on the attach points.

That's it, thanks Alan. They just have adjustable hook-loop attachments and can attached directly to the belt, through a D-ring or MOLLE webbing. HSGI makes quality gear and thier suspenders are overly built as is their standard. My attachments points are to the belt and to the MOLLE backing on the Sabercat.

ROCK6

Rock6... i read on the Kifaru Koala post that you have some experience with Kifaru products as well. Have you ever had a chance to look at the Tailgunner 1. If so do you think it might be possible to use this bag in the same manner I am thinking about using the Saber cat? Ie...in conjunction with a normal backpack.

Rock6... i read on the Kifaru Koala post that you have some experience with Kifaru products as well. Have you ever had a chance to look at the Tailgunner 1. If so do you think it might be possible to use this bag in the same manner I am thinking about using the Saber cat? Ie...in conjunction with a normal backpack.

I don't have either Tailgunner, but I know that they could fit that role (they were designed to). You could visit the Kifaru forums and ask, but I think it could serve the same role as the Sabercat, plus serve as a chest pack. Of course, the advangate of the Sabercat is that most pockets are already attached if the layout serves your purposes. Hope that helps,

ROCK6

Thanks for all the info. I think after looking around on the Kifaru site and forums i am going to go with the Tailgunner 1. I have a plethora pf MOLLE and Maxpedition pockets and pouches laying around.

i mean this is just a sweet lookin set up if you ask me

Tailgunner2.jpg

Tailgunner1.jpg

thanks again for everything

Take her car camping and save the UL/hippie/tactical thing for you and your bud.
:D
Or....
Buy a large/full size back pack to carry everything in.
Look at empty weights of the hip and assault packs compared to a good internal frame pack (which will be much more comfortable).

Back