1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

MAZCRAFT SOG Navy Seal knife Makeover

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by BubbaGanew, Feb 17, 2008.

1. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
  2. Culpeper

Culpeper Banned BANNED

Jul 1, 2007
    Very nice work. :thumbup:

3. CorpsmanUP!

CorpsmanUP!

Jun 11, 2007
    i'd carry her. very nice.

4. noviomagus

noviomagus

Dec 25, 2007
    what I like most of those pics, is to see the full tang of the Seal 2000 exposed.(didn't ever seen it before)
    and the fact that the zytel handle couldn't be broken off ,but had to be grinded off.

that's a very tough construction indeed.

5. knifeknutWA

knifeknutWA Banned BANNED

Mar 22, 2008
    yuck. what a waste of a seal 2000 thumbs down

6. dl351

dl351

May 5, 2006
    If it makes you feel better, I have an extra Seal 2000 that I ground the handle off of, too. I plan on figuring out how to make a Tiger stripe or Midnight tiger stripe G10 handle for it. However, this is an extra one that I bought used (and abused) for only $25. I have another slightly used one that I bought new which I would not grind the handle off of. It was actually helpful when I first saw this thread because then I knew what to expect when I ground the handle off.

7. noviomagus

noviomagus

Dec 25, 2007
    to me it was a good way to show the inner core of the seal 2000.
    seeing how tough/well it is costructed.and if one seal 2000 gets wasted to show hundreds or more people...
    I see it just as those knifetests,where the knife gets destroyed(in the end) .

the original version of the seal 2000 I like much better than the one with the rope handle.
    I do not like rope handles at all(have had some of those).it just doesn't feel good in the hand.not a tight good grip.
    I can't see why those strider knives are so popular with some (or many?)navy seals.
    aside from the awkward feeling in the hand,doesn't the rope start to move and slide when it gets wet?
    I do know of one sailor who didn't like his rope handled knife because of that problem.the rope got all loose when getting wet.and wet it gets on that boat.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  8. spyken

spyken Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2002
    I hate cord wrap handles also. they are uncomfortable in my hands. I'd take contoured synthetic / wooden handles anytime.