MC-1

ghostsix

BANNED
Hi Phil,I was wondering if you knew the history of this knife.We had both Shrade and Camillus Rigger`s,Paras or survival knives,depending upon whom you asked(What is the official designation?Probably knife,automatic,switchblade.Supply is not one of our more colorful branches.).There was at least one other contractor,whose name escapes me. These date back to WW11, do they not?Mine were issued to me in 1964.Was there an earlier issue than the orange handle familiars? The question came up and,the answer is not in my library.I don`t mean to put you to work but,I notice an interest in the knife and,now that the AFO and Auto Stryker,(other autos have been issued), will replace it,perhaps we should get the history straight before it`s lost.It certainly is a part of the history of Camillus.I appreaciate your attention to this matter.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ghostsix (edited 21 April 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ghostsix (edited 21 April 1999).]

Phil, hope you don't mind if I jump in here. The knife is officially known as the Knife, Pocket, Hook Blade and Snap Blade (MC-1) or the MIL-K-25594D. It was officially adopted in 1957 by the Air Force. Other services soon followed. The third contractor on the MC-1 was Logan-Smyth from Venice Florida. The orange handled knives were the first to be issued as aircrew survival knives. Prior to that many different autos were issued to paras, Geo. Schrade being the main supplier. That is a completely different knife known as the M2. It was first adopted in 1940 by the newly formed paratrooper test platoon. It did not have the hook blade.

Frank Trzaska

Thankyou very much.By the way,we carried the hook closed.I put on my flight suit and sucked up the straps on a T-10 and the hook caught in the,now tight,knife pocket,in the flap of material on the inside top.You could take it to the riggers and have them sew it up.

------------------

As an aside,if the purpose of the MC-1 was soly to punture life rafts,the adoption of the Auto Stryker certainly indicates a sea change in thought.

------------------

What parts do you fellas need? I have one or two in pieces (1 L&S and 1 Cam??) at home. I won't be able to see till June, so email me and remind me...
PR
Oh yea, I remember, TK did an article on the MC-1 'bout two, three months ago
smile.gif

------------------
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!

Military "Military" fans unite!!!

Prigger,you are cool.I actually saw a MC-1 for sale at $60. ,can you believe that?We are talking a $2.00 knife here.

Prigger,you`re the guy that maintained and signed off on our `chutes,right?If they fail,you can bring them back.

------------------

Back